Rectoverb And Strat

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowwe11

Reaction score
I recently got a rectoverb combo and both my LP and my strat sound great through it exept the strat through the red channel.Anyone have any settings or ideas?

I especially like the middle pu but the key for me (I have a strat copy) is to pull the tone control almost all the way back on the guitar. Also, I don't always crank the volume on the guitar either. My settings on the amp are:
Gain 3:00
Treble 1:00
Mid 11:30-12:00
Bass 12:00-1:00
Presence - 7-8:00
Master 9:00
Reverb 11:00
Output - to taste depending on amount of family in the room 8)

rowwe11 said:
I recently got a rectoverb combo and both my LP and my strat sound great through it exept the strat through the red channel.Anyone have any settings or ideas?

Just a question? Who are some of your favorite guitar players that play Strats through Rectifiers? I can't think of one!

jbird said:
Just a question? Who are some of your favorite guitar players that play Strats through Rectifiers? I can't think of one!

This guy.......

tomdelongeii8bx.png

tomdelong6dx.jpg

Tom Delonge from Blink 182 :wink:

tele_jas said:
jbird said:

This guy.......

tomdelongeii8bx.png

tomdelong6dx.jpg

Tom Delonge from Blink 182 :wink:

Umm, that'd be a Duncan Invader in there! A humbucker! :idea:

Oh, now you get picky :lol: , I was just adding my $.000002 worth (thats a fraction of a penny) here.

I play a tele through my RK, and it's my main guitar..... a pink paisley at that :shock: . A humbucker does sound better on the distortion channels for harder stuff, I'll admit that but a hot single coil can sound pretty good too.

@ tele_jas: you play a tele through your rectoverb, you say! Sounds interesting in my ears (eyes...?), cause i'm just wandering around myself these days, and tries to decide between a tele and a strat to put through my single recto! I'm looking at the new 60th anniversary models, think they looks so nice :D
What kind of music do you play!? can a single in the bridge sound "mean" enough on a strat? The strat i'm looking at has got three vintage 57' pickup in it, and the tele some vintage 52's in it.
The short answer is of course that i have to try them, and i will for sure!! But they haven't got them in the store yet, so I'll have to get as much info from other people (like you :D ) to hold my GAS a little!
What do you use your tele for, got any soundclips? I'm playing some kind of straight rock in the harder genre, but am getting tired of my sterile guitarsound, and want some more "dirt under my nails" :lol:
B.R. andershoeg

theeres a band from Kentucky/Evansville, called Emanuel. www.myspace.com/emanuel

and he uses a tele through a recto... it actually sounds realyl good

The reason I use my strat through the ROV is because I love the sound of a clean and overdriven strat.I would like to to get the high gain sound and still retain just a taste of the single coil pickups.It is very hard to get but I think I am getting closer.

I actually play my tele through a Road King, but it has the same rectifier distortion as the Rectoverb. I did swap out pickups and put the Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in both my tele's, I couldn't stand that single coil hum and these are pretty hot but still sound like a single coil, but without the hummmmmmmm.

Last weekend I did record my band, live at at gig, and I played my tele's all night long, I'll listen through that and see if I can find a nice clip that shows the tone.

As far as my music style, I play in an 80s, 90s and modern rock cover band and we do a few country tunes and a few originals too. We play stuff like: Bon Jovi, Poison, Creed, Nickelback, Brian Adams, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Forigner, Van Halen, Metallica, Greenday, Bush, ect....

I'll listen to my recordings and see what I find and send you a PM or post a reply here.. or both.

PS..... Have you thought about getting a tappable humbucker in the bridge?? Like a hot-rail or 'lil 59 (don't know if those are tappable, but a small/mini humbucker pup)?

Here ya go :wink: ! I had them in my laptop here at work with me today and I put together a small montage of about 5 or 6 songs.

* The first two are in Vintage mode with the gain at about 3:00, Treb 1:00, Mids 11:00, Bass 10:00, pres 11:00.

The Bon Jovi one (It's my life) was the vintage mode same as above with the gain at 11:00 and a Tubescreamer with the gain about 50%.

The old one (Bad case of lovin' you) is a RK only tone, in Brit mode with a tubescreamer. Same with the Maroon 5 song (Harder to Breathe).

The last one, the country tune, is the Tweed mode with a Tubescreamer with the TS gain on about 25%.

The first two and the Bon Jovi one should be easily dialed in on your Rectoverb.

Heres the link: http://www.guitartest.moonfruit.com/ , go to the Road King Clips page and it's the one on the right called "Tele with RK".

Actually my strat has got the noisless pickups too.I have an LP so I am pretty much covered if I want to use humbuckers but I do wanna make my strat work cause I just love it so **** much

Thats pretty **** good!!!Great tone!Im gonna try those settings tomorrow night when I jam with my band.btw what wah are you using on the Bon Jovi song?

Thanz!I am about to get my 3rd wah dont ask why.Its the Dunlop classic crybaby.It sounds awsome

sorta off topic, but i've found the best way to get a hot humbucker sound with alot of single coil quack/twang/character out of a recto is with p-90's. theres enough output to get into high gain territory, and it stays fairly tight. another good way is to use seymour duncan coolrails/vintage rails/duckbuckers. single coil sized humbuckers that just sound alot like single coils, especially in a strat with a maple neck and thick strings. in both these cases, the tone doenst seem to fall apart like it does with standard single coils through a really high gain head like the recto.

I am about to get my 3rd wah dont ask why.Its the Dunlop classic crybaby.It sounds awsome

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I have a 22-27 year old Cry baby that I LOVE!! I used it from 1991 up until 2005 when it started shorting out and I realized that I'd rather use it for recording and keep for a rainy day and get a good one to play out that has a few "over exagerated" features such as the Budda, it really cuts through the mix in a live situation but is sometimes a little more "wah" than I need for recording. If I had to choose one, I'd have a hard time choosing and don't think I really could... I love them both.

sorta off topic, but i've found the best way to get a hot humbucker sound with alot of single coil quack/twang/character out of a recto is with p-90's

I played my first P-90 guitar over lunch today through a 5150 combo. I was playing a tele (since that's what I have) and the guy that works there said "hey, try this" and handed me a 1964 Gibson SG with the original P-90 in it..... I laughed at first, and then after I played it, for 30 minutes, I have a new respect for P-90's (but I still don't like SG's). I hit my first couple of chords and looked him and had to ask if it was a single coil, it was beefy but when I plugged it in to a twin it was single coil-ish enough to pass for a hot strat.

Just some FYI :wink:

thamls again tele_jas! sounds great, and definitely proves that there is a lot of power in a tele, and of course the pickups you use. Sounds really great!!
b.r. andershoeg

Back