Rectoverb 25 questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a similar thread in the Express section, but I'm more interested in the Rectoverb 25.
All of the venues here are tiny. My house is not sound proof. I am on the hunt for a small grab and go amp that I can do small gigs and jams with.
I'm currently using a PRS Archon 25, which sounds incredible, but is extremely noisy on the lead channel.

I've narrowed it down to the Rectoverb 25 or the Express 5:25 Plus. I am not interested in the Mark V 25 at all. I want a combo, not a head.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the high gain channel noisy? Hiss, Crackles, Pops, etc....anything out of the ordinary, I'm not talking about standard tube hiss.

2. Is the low gain channel noisy?

3. Is there any noise when changing channels? Popping, chirping, swelling, etc..

4. Is there a drop in sound when changing channels?

5. Is there a loss of reverb for a second when changing channels?

6. Is the Loop noisy when used (assuming no ground loops)?

Thanks!

Hola!

I have gigged with both the MR and RV25. I found that they were definitely quiet enough for me, and I used a G System in the loop that worked very nicely.

I didn't use the reverb in the RV, so I don't know how it switches. The amps switched fine, though I wound up using an Amp Gizmo to get rid of switching delay. They switched channels very smoothly with that.

I used both amps reasonably quietly on stage with a Radial JDX to FOH. The RV25 combo was pretty nasal due to the small cab size. I wound up flipping it for that reason. Later on I figured out that the issue would probably have been totally solved by adding a Thiele under it. I kind of still want to try it, but I have moved up to a RA and MV, so...

The MR sounded amazing through my 4x10 cab. But it was a pain to load in and out, so I went to the RV combo.

elvis said:
Hola!

I have gigged with both the MR and RV25. I found that they were definitely quiet enough for me, and I used a G System in the loop that worked very nicely.

I didn't use the reverb in the RV, so I don't know how it switches. The amps switched fine, though I wound up using an Amp Gizmo to get rid of switching delay. They switched channels very smoothly with that.

I used both amps reasonably quietly on stage with a Radial JDX to FOH. The RV25 combo was pretty nasal due to the small cab size. I wound up flipping it for that reason. Later on I figured out that the issue would probably have been totally solved by adding a Thiele under it. I kind of still want to try it, but I have moved up to a RA and MV, so...

The MR sounded amazing through my 4x10 cab. But it was a pain to load in and out, so I went to the RV combo.

Thanks!
Next time you have a small cab that sounds boxy, try a Cannabis Rex or even better, a Swamp Thang. My Archon 25 sounded feeble with the stock Celestion G12-T75. With the Swamp Thang, it is huge sounding! Just wish I could dial out some of the hiss.
Tube swaps didn't help. A noise gate doesn't even help because half of the hiss is from the Loop return..........
I might have to buy a plane ticket and go try all of the new Mesa amps out!

Thanks for the advice! I actually wish I had tried a C90 and a Creamback in it. So many speakers, but I'm only just getting started trying different ones. Maybe a CL80 or G12K85 would have worked as well.

I used to love Celestions, but I am now discovering that they are the root of some of my problems.
Most of them seem to have a fizzle sound that I always identified with the amps.
I've spent way too many hours in front of my amps trying different speakers. The V30, Heritage 30, T75, and MC90 all have this high end fizz with overdrive that just bothers my ears.

I am much more into smooth and creamy sounding speakers at this point.
So far, Eminence is winning because they are cheap and sound great!

I did really like the Creamback 75 that I had though.....

Do you have clips of your Archon 25 being noisy? I am in the exact opposite boat as you, I have a roadster 2x12 combo and a RV25 head and 1x12 cab to go with it and I am looking to get into the Archon camp with either an Archon 50 combo or a head and a mesa 2x12 vert cab.

As far as the RV25 being noisy, I can say that mine is pretty darn quiet with the following signal chain...

Guitar -> Polytune -> OD808 -> Flux Drive -> Fulltone OCD -> Amp input
Effects loop send -> Corona Chorus -> DL4 -> Ditto Looper -> Effects loop return

I do not play with high gain on my Mesa, but I have heard the fizz before with my V30, I can generally EQ it out though.

I do use both the gain channel as well as clean with my drive pedals.

not trying to turn you off a Mesa because I love mine, but if you hang out at the PRS forum you'll see some others have complained about noisy loops on the Archon, and many say theirs isn't noisy. If it is not the tubes (usually is, but you said you tried that already) I'd send it to PRS for repair.

Again, not discouraging you from a Mesa, but I'd try the PRS fully functioning befored I flipped it for something else, especially if you like the tones. I am anxious to try one and see how it compares to my Mark V 25.

Problem is, I live in Hawaii.
It would cost $200 each way to ship the amp.
I might just have to dissect it and replace some parts with higher quality ones.

Some of the wiring should be shielded as well and it's not.
It's a great sounding amp, just noisy as hell.

I looked at a gut shot of the Archon. Some of the wiring on the triode is hard to see, but I think I see a few things that could be improved. It looks like switching is routed right under the wiring from the input to the board. Additionally, the grid resistor appears sitting on the board, instead of being directly on the grid to V1a. V1 is also sitting close to the switching daughter board.

Since the tube can't be moved:
  • Wrap the switching wires with shielding tape, or disconnect them and make twisted pairs, or reroute them.
    Replace the input jack wire with a shielded wire.
    This shielded wire needs to be rerouted to a new/moved grid resistor which is directly soldered to V1a.
    Reroute/replace the switching circuit wire that is, basically, sitting just next to and on top of V1a and runs to the relays.
    If wires have to cross each other, make sure that any wires carrying signal are at 90 degrees to any wires that carry power.
    Slap the layout designer.

That layout and assembly is literally a textbook example of how to introduce noise. I don't like talking smack, but that amp is expensive and that layout could be improved.

http://www.prsguitars.com/archon/

The signal wires are curving in toward the switching wires. Wires need to be short and direct on an amp like this. Considering the board placements, it's even more important.

I have a RV25 head and 1x12 cab

1. Is the high gain channel noisy? Hiss, Crackles, Pops, etc....anything out of the ordinary, I'm not talking about standard tube hiss. - No I find it to be pretty quiet even at high gain.

2. Is the low gain channel noisy? - No, same as question 1.

3. Is there any noise when changing channels? Popping, chirping, swelling, etc.. - There is sometimes a pop if one channel is on 25 watt and the other is 10 watt. At the same wattage there is no pop.

4. Is there a drop in sound when changing channels? - Not as long as the volumes are set closely.

5. Is there a loss of reverb for a second when changing channels? - No.

6. Is the Loop noisy when used (assuming no ground loops)?- No. Very quiet.

I tried to make you a video but the clicking of the footswitch itself was pretty loud on it. Here it is: https://youtu.be/6DrJsLZSS_A
If you want I can try a recording with the footswitch farther away.

I love this amp. Very versatile.

Latest posts

Back