Recto w/ E-34Ls!!!....the HOLY GRAIL?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Platypus said:
I've got plenty of clips using my JJ EL34L's in the rigs/tones section and I'd be happy to cover any ground not in those tone wise.

hey, do you have any "metal" type tones posted?

turmoil said:
Platypus said:
I've got plenty of clips using my JJ EL34L's in the rigs/tones section and I'd be happy to cover any ground not in those tone wise.

hey, do you have any "metal" type tones posted?

I have a few with EL34L's and two EL84's.. very close in nature:
http://platypus.memoryfire.com/failure3.avi

I'll try to record some more, the quad of EL34L's has more low end than the clip up there.

wow, that sounds really, really good!!

what EL-34s would you recommend for me to try then, Platypus? Also, i'd like to swap my Rectifier tubes and maybe even my preamp tubes too.
If i switch to EL-34's and different rectifier/preamp tubes will i need to have my amp biased/setup by a tech or can i just swap the tubes myself and change the tube switch to EL-34 instead of 6L6 on the back of my rectifier?

turmoil said:
wow, that sounds really, really good!!

what EL-34s would you recommend for me to try then, Platypus? Also, i'd like to swap my Rectifier tubes and maybe even my preamp tubes too.
If i switch to EL-34's and different rectifier/preamp tubes will i need to have my amp biased/setup by a tech or can i just swap the tubes myself and change the tube switch to EL-34 instead of 6L6 on the back of my rectifier?

Mesa amps are fixed bias so you can just swap tubes in and out as long as they're in the operating spec of Mesa. Most if not all online tube vendors will send you tubes if you tell them which amp they're going in.

I recommend the JJEL34L to get that sound as they're the only EL34 I've used that have enough low end for crushing metal tones.

As far as preamp/rectifiers.. that will all be personal preference, I like the JJ GZ34 rectifiers myself. If you plan on making changes, I recommend changing out one area at a time (eg, preamp only, power amp only, etc) so you at least can hear what's happening.

that sounds great man, thanks for the info.

I'm currently using the Mesa 5U4GB recto tubes and i know people have said that the JJ GZ34's can give a much "tighter" sound which is what i like. I've also heard some people use the Tun Sol 12AX7s tubes. are they any better/different than JJ tubes?

turmoil said:
that sounds great man, thanks for the info.

I'm currently using the Mesa 5U4GB recto tubes and i know people have said that the JJ GZ34's can give a much "tighter" sound which is what i like. I've also heard some people use the Tun Sol 12AX7s tubes. are they any better/different than JJ tubes?

That falls back to personal preference. Certain things like rectifier tubes are just utility tube as far as I'm concerned, so that's a no brainer. If you want a tighter track go with the GZ34's though the 5U4GB is an excellent tube so you might hold onto this.

As far as preamp, people either love or hate JJ's and the same goes for TungSol, only way to know what you like is to experiment on your own.

ahh i see. well thanks for all the advice. i always hold onto my tubes so hopefully i can pick up a set of EL-34's soon as well as those other tubes.
what would be a good online store to get the tubes from?

turmoil said:
ahh i see. well thanks for all the advice. i always hold onto my tubes so hopefully i can pick up a set of EL-34's soon as well as those other tubes.
what would be a good online store to get the tubes from?

I've had luck with :

http://www.eurotubes.com
http://www.dougstubes.com

Make sure to tell them which amp you're getting your tubes for.

Hey guys!

I have two quick clips just for those who want an idea of the tone....

I did both in 10 minutes, so mic placement is not perfect, nor is my playing :oops:

But you guys get the idea!

This is channel 3 modern on both clips!

http://thatguitarkid.dmusic.com

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that was your new SC right? That's exactly how mine sounds with my les paul, you did a great job of capturing the way the tone really is.

Try running your neck pickup with 0 tone and full volume, it makes this awesome speaker topping out style distortion on 3rd channel in either vintage or modern!

That would be the Singlecut, all stock, yup.

I just love the grind it puts out!

Thanks for the comment. I was afraid I wasn't really doing it justice.....

I'm gonna try that. Sounds pretty cool!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

I have two quick clips just for those who want an idea of the tone....

I did both in 10 minutes, so mic placement is not perfect, not is my playing :oops:

But you guys get the idea!

This is channel 3 modern on both clips!

http://thatguitarkid.dmusic.com

Nice job. Sounds great.

If you like the EL34's or the E34L's do yourself a favor and try the KT 77's. I've been using them in my Triple since March and I'm very pleased with the tone I'm getting.

To me they really are the best of both worlds.

[/quote]

I've had luck with :

http://www.eurotubes.com
http://www.dougstubes.com

Make sure to tell them which amp you're getting your tubes for.[/quote]

I haven't had a good experience with eurotubes as far as their response to my emails. Anyway, I am trying out dougstubes.com instead.

Bob's emails get picked up by spam filters sometimes, he's usually responded within 24 hours for me without fail, once was 48 hours.

Lol...AWESOME

I already have 7 JJ e34l's floating towards me on a could of fed ex trucks. Nice to read this review about them.

For my tripple recto.

Thought you guys would be interested in seeing my setup.
I've experimented with probably every kind of tube that will go into my DR roadster and this is the combination I like best right now.

Anyhow here it is:

V1 12AX7
V2 ECC 832
V3 12AT7
V4 upward 12AX7

P1 MB EL34
P2 6V6
P3 6V6
P4 MB EL34

This combination works well to cut the gain and tame the buzz and when driven provides a tight, greasy, saturated tone and great feel.

Descriptions of tubes being used: from eurotubes

ECC83 S - 12AX7 “Factory description: Special grid plated by gold to reduce microphone interaction and noise. My observations: The ECC83S is great tube with a tight low end, a very natural and harmonically complex mid with VERY good definition and a sweet high end that is not brittle. These tubes have very low microphonics and are great in the gain stages of high gain amps like Marshalls, Meas's and Peaveys to name a few.”

ECC 832 “If your trying to cut the gain in your amps drive channel you might be interested in a hybrid tube I'm using in my Prosonic and 5150 to cut the gain, it's called the JJ ECC832 which is a 12DW7. This tube is half of an ECC83S ( 12AX7 ) and half of an ECC82 ( 12AU7 ). This actually sounds VERY nice in amps that cascade the gain through several preamp tubes. It cuts down the gain by about 40% but retains a nice crisp attack and warm tone where just dropping down to a 12AT7 seems to dull the tone a bit. The JJ ECC832 tubes are 10.00 each. I've got lots of players using the ECC832 in one or two of the gain stages in everything from the Mesa Triaxis to Peavey Triple X amps with great results.” “ECC832-12DW7 Factory description: Special grid plated by gold to reduce microphone interaction and noise.”

ECC81 / 12AT7 “Factory description: Special grid plated by gold to reduce microphone interaction and noise. My observation: Finally a good 12AT7! This tube has all the qualities of the JJ 12AX7’s. It’s very smooth in Hi-Fi and guitar amps. This tube will take the "Doink" out of your reverb too.”

EL34 Factory description: Gold plated control grid for improved fidelity.
My observation: This tube is as close to an NOS Mullard as you can get although I have to given mention to the Svetlana EL34. It’s very good but I like the way the JJ tubes break up better. They are very smooth and have the biggest low end of any current production EL34. I still prefer the JJ E34L for most applications simply because of it's extended low end and the fact that it's tighter and punchier.

6V6 “The JJ 6V6S's are a VERY nice 6V6 and sound stellar in any 6V6 amp. The JJ 6V6's are so robust that I have been using them in lots of amps including several of my Blackface Bassman amps and in my Mesa Dual Rec. By choosing the proper grade these can be run in the EL34 and have the best clean tone I've ever heard from my Dual Rec. They also have a deeper thump and breakup earlier than 6L6's do. I have over 100 customers now using the JJ 6V6's in their Fender Hotrod Deluxe and Deville amps with great success.”

oyster said:
I've experimented with probably every kind of tube that will go into my DR roadster and this is the combination I like best right now.

Anyhow here it is:

V1 12AX7
V2 ECC 832
V3 12AT7
V4 upward 12AX7

P1 MB EL34
P2 6V6
P3 6V6
P4 MB EL34

This combination works well to cut the gain and tame the buzz and when driven provides a tight, greasy, saturated tone and great feel.

ECC83 S - 12AX7 “Factory description: Special grid plated by gold to reduce microphone interaction and noise. My observations: The ECC83S is great tube with a tight low end, a very natural and harmonically complex mid with VERY good definition and a sweet high end that is not brittle. These tubes have very low microphonics and are great in the gain stages of high gain amps like Marshalls, Meas's and Peaveys to name a few.”

ECC 832 “If your trying to cut the gain in your amps drive channel you might be interested in a hybrid tube I'm using in my Prosonic and 5150 to cut the gain, it's called the JJ ECC832 which is a 12DW7. This tube is half of an ECC83S ( 12AX7 ) and half of an ECC82 ( 12AU7 ). This actually sounds VERY nice in amps that cascade the gain through several preamp tubes. It cuts down the gain by about 40% but retains a nice crisp attack and warm tone where just dropping down to a 12AT7 seems to dull the tone a bit. The JJ ECC832 tubes are 10.00 each. I've got lots of players using the ECC832 in one or two of the gain stages in everything from the Mesa Triaxis to Peavey Triple X amps with great results.” “ECC832-12DW7 Factory description: Special grid plated by gold to reduce microphone interaction and noise.”

ECC81 / 12AT7 “Factory description: Special grid plated by gold to reduce microphone interaction and noise. My observation: Finally a good 12AT7! This tube has all the qualities of the JJ 12AX7’s. It’s very smooth in Hi-Fi and guitar amps. This tube will take the "Doink" out of your reverb too.”

My observation: This tube is as close to an NOS Mullard as you can get although I have to given mention to the Svetlana EL34. It’s very good but I like the way the JJ tubes break up better. They are very smooth and have the biggest low end of any current production EL34. I still prefer the JJ E34L for most applications simply because of it's extended low end and the fact that it's tighter and punchier.

6V6 “The JJ 6V6S's are a VERY nice 6V6 and sound stellar in any 6V6 amp. The JJ 6V6's are so robust that I have been using them in lots of amps including several of my Blackface Bassman amps and in my Mesa Dual Rec. By choosing the proper grade these can be run in the EL34 and have the best clean tone I've ever heard from my Dual Rec. They also have a deeper thump and breakup earlier than 6L6's do. I have over 100 customers now using the JJ 6V6's in their Fender Hotrod Deluxe and Deville amps with great success.”

Thanks for the info, very cool.

oyster said:

Anyhow here it is:

V1 12AX7
V2 ECC 832
V3 12AT7
V4 upward 12AX7

P1 MB EL34
P2 6V6
P3 6V6
P4 MB EL34

Interesting tube choices!
I use a JAN 5751 in V1 of my rec's.

Latest posts

Back