Recto Tube Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsky1

Reaction score
Ok so I noticed today the channels that I'm running with the tube rectifier on my RKII are mudding and don't have as much volume. It just started doing this!! I switch to diode and they are fine. The tubes are just barely glowing. Do you think my rectifier tubes are bad or could it be worse? I haven't blown a fuse yet. The amp was made in August 2006, so its not that old.

Sounds that way... try doing a palm muted chug on the 6th string.. does it sound sputtery and fade away slightly?

Yea it sounds sputtery, slightly faded and heavily compressed.

I'm pretty sure its the rectifier tubes or the circuitry for the rectifier tubes.

parsky1 said:
Yea it sounds sputtery, slightly faded and heavily compressed.

I'm pretty sure its the rectifier tubes or the circuitry for the rectifier tubes.

Sounds like a rectifier tube to me. Had something similar happen not too long ago on a dual rectifier. It will eventually short and blow your fuse.

What really sucks in the purchase date is 8/17/06 and I'm like 2 weeks too late to get the 6 month warranty on the tubes... thanks Mesa. :(

$60 down the tubes for me.

I would call Mesa and ask their opinion as well... at the same time mention you are just out of warranty, I'm willing to bet Mesa will come through for you.

Edit: plus, it's most likely just one of them so you really only need to find which one is bad.

Yea, I'll mess with it more tomorrow at practice. I switched everyting over to diodes for the time being.

Don't wait to blow that fuse, start replacing tubes. I had a power tube go ballistic and not only blew the fuse, but the heat took out some resistors (combo amp, lame-ish design I tell ya').

Latest posts

Back