recto pre + PR-1 + 295 simulclass- Metal from germany

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalaxe

Reaction score
hi there.....
here's a clip of my band.
guitars are: my custommade PR-1 and Recto Pre, both thru mesa 295 simulclass to v30 equipped engl 4x12 miced with sm57 (m160 slightly blended in).

please tell me what you like/dislike

here it is:

Subcutane - Darker Than Black

thanks

thanks, yepp drums are not too tight in that pre-chorus-part;) gonna fix'em tomorrow ;)

we just kicked our bass-player, so i had to play the bass and i'm not too confident doing that, so it's more the mellower, hidden kind of sound ;)

Using a 295 simul class amp myself with a TriAxis ,I always wondered what the recto rec. preamp sounded like thru it...NICE and tight!
Job well done.

The guitars sound fat!! Drums are nice and clear. Plenty of kick. I'm same regarding the bass. I like some more string attack in the sound but this has a good blended sound. Parallel playing to support the guitars for most part.

Good stuff 8)

lemme ask you question. how did you record and mix guitars??

multiple takes? one take panned l and r???

how did you mix, did you compress????

wow!!! i really lei the song! i realyl lvoe that melodic part in the beginnign kinda (abotua minute in) the toen is fabulous there, and everywhere else. Tell me, did u plug the mic stright into sound card or into sometype of mixer, of so-which mixer??
great job bud! :D

As a producer and a recording engineer I would like to give you an advice.
I liked your song but when the entire song is recorded only with distortion guitars, the listener s ears become tired very fast,I mean some parts with clean guitar or without drums or whatever will give to the song some dynamics.Songs without dynamics after a few seconds maybe 20 seconds our ears lost treble recognition I mean everything starts to become muddy.
I hope I could help in any way
luck and good job

I totally agree with you but there's a few genres where dynamics are not a feature especially in the metal genres.

And I"d be getting concerned if grindcore for example started developing dynamics :lol:

yeah, but sombra is right in theory...
(i used to teach recording/production and acoustics at an music college, so i know pretty well about the human ear and how it behaves...sombra is right with what he said, thanks for the advice though) but as you said rdomain, there are genres where you might not wanna have that kind of dynamics, at least not in every song ;).

@polish, aramism: thanks,
gits where 4tracked, using 2 tracks of my signature-preamp 100% L/R (pretty much an improved soldano clone) and 2 tracks of recto recording pre 80% L/R, both into mesa simul 295--> engl cab loaded with v30 into standard preamps of my dm2000 (which suck soundwise!).
just 1 sm57 pretty much straight on center and a slight touch of m160 ribbon mixed a little bit into it (bout 26dB less than the 57, just to round some of the lows and highs off).
no compression (distorted guitars are compressed enough by themselves) but a tiny bit of multiband compression in the 180-250Hz area (like 2 db or so) to avoid some low-mid-mud. just a touch of eq applied to get rid of som 4,5k fizz or so.

thank you all for your opinions and advices, much appreciated!

metalaxe said:
yeah, but sombra is right in theory...
(i used to teach recording/production and acoustics at an music college, so i know pretty well about the human ear and how it behaves...sombra is right with what he said, thanks for the advice though) but as you said rdomain, there are genres where you might not wanna have that kind of dynamics, at least not in every song ;).

Oh my god what a pleasure posting on a board with so inteligent dudes !
If I said that to a guy with an empty head he probably doesnt even talked about my words.
Metalaxe heard your work and talked to you was a really pleasure.
luck

Sounds good overall. I like the song and even though I dont' dig growling/ over the top volcals, I think the vocals work pretty well here without sounding too crazy

The guitar tone soudns very Recto-ish. I think it isn't sitting very well in the mix however. There's definitely some conflict in the drumset cymbals/ vocals/ Guitar's treble

I'm listening though my studio monitors (mackie HR824)fairly loud and the treble is all bleeding together whcih makes it hard to hear the guitars very clearly. I wont suggest anything though because it's hard to know exactly how everythign is being mixed and mastered.

But generally, it's very close to being a great sounding metal mix.

you're definitely right about the guitars, i have the same feeling, and they are a bit too "narrow".
i considered opening the project again and getting rid of that problem, but I'm gonna re-record that song for the next album anyways (somewhen in spring 07), so i don't really wanna do that work ;)
on the other hand it's meant do be a reference on my page, so perhaps i'll try reamping the guitars as soon as i get my x-amp reamp box (next week or so) and do a better mix.
thanks dude

Latest posts

Back