RECTO OWNERS MUST KNOW!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Micah said:
Kung-Fool said:
Or you could just bypass the loop and output/solo controls. It does the same exact thing. I've been preaching this for a long time.

Hey I tried this last night and it seems that it did something to reduce the overall volume and for the most part took away the affect the maxed volume had on it--something wrong with my amp?? anyone know anything about these loops?? it seems my loop acts a little funny anyhow--I have a thread from yesterday about this--HELP anyone??? :(

In the Road King, when you bypass the loops, you remove two preamp 12ax7's from the mix.

I almost never use effects, and I like the way the amp sounds better with the loops completely bypassed.

Although, I will give you suggestion a shot tomorrow.

which two 12ax7's are not used when you bypass the loop of the RK? The RKII has 6 preamp tubes. Anyone know what each one is responsible for?

I tried it yesterday. It gets pretty disgusting loud. My ear still hurts a little after playing about 10 min only. I think that may have been the loudest i've done so far. or at least close. i did notice a different kind of saturation/compression than when i simply crank the master levels on bypass. it was a little clearer, if i can say that, (i still think my 2ch is clearer tho). it had a nice sort of vintage vibe but since it was a recto it was still the recto voice.
Afterwards i compared it to bypassing loop and putting master on about 1045-11. I did notice the difference here. the former was a little better. It wasn't leaps and bounds, but it was a definate improvement.
So overall I was sold on it, lol. I'll do it from now on. just have to find a better mix b/w power and pre. i was doing a lot of power and very little pre. it was cool tho :D

diamondschwin said:
Micah said:
Kung-Fool said:
Or you could just bypass the loop and output/solo controls. It does the same exact thing. I've been preaching this for a long time.

Hey I tried this last night and it seems that it did something to reduce the overall volume and for the most part took away the affect the maxed volume had on it--something wrong with my amp?? anyone know anything about these loops?? it seems my loop acts a little funny anyhow--I have a thread from yesterday about this--HELP anyone??? :(

well the loop is an extra gain stage.... anyway i tried maxing out the master volume and stuff.... it didnt really do anything for me, it made things sound worse to my ears... now bypassing the loop, that does some good, unfortunately i dont do it much cuz i have effects as well like my master volume control at least for practicing, but for recording i bypass the loop

You dont notice a drop in volume when you bypass the loop?? :roll:

jbird said:
I have a question with this whole scenario: Where do you have your effects loop levels set on the rear? The send level can also act as a level control (same as a channel master), and when cranked, can create additional gain from that tube driver! Maybe this is what your experiencing with the loop engaged? Otherwise, with the loop bypassed, you'll obviously have to make up for the volume difference with your channel masters, they will now act as your final outputs!

When I have the loop bypassed I can roll the volumes for the send and recieve either way and I dont hear a difference-- When I canve it set to FT Switch I just have it set to normal. The Tripple is loud enough with out adding additional volume!! Im wondering if other people see this same thing with the FX loop also or if there is something wrong with mine??

mloiaco said:
Micah said:
Kung-Fool said:

In the Road King, when you bypass the loops, you remove two preamp 12ax7's from the mix.

I almost never use effects, and I like the way the amp sounds better with the loops completely bypassed.

Although, I will give you suggestion a shot tomorrow.

Sweet man! :D I like my amp straight up most of the time--I have a couple of effects but I really dont use them much-- 8)

This sounds interesting. I am going to try it at tonights jam with the band.
I am wonerding also what effect this has on the effects loop? I am using a rocktron intelliflex in the loop........I'll post my results and let ya know how this works on my rectoverb 50.

Elpelotero said:
I tried it yesterday. It gets pretty disgusting loud. My ear still hurts a little after playing about 10 min only. I think that may have been the loudest i've done so far. or at least close. i did notice a different kind of saturation/compression than when i simply crank the master levels on bypass. it was a little clearer, if i can say that, (i still think my 2ch is clearer tho). it had a nice sort of vintage vibe but since it was a recto it was still the recto voice.
Afterwards i compared it to bypassing loop and putting master on about 1045-11. I did notice the difference here. the former was a little better. It wasn't leaps and bounds, but it was a definate improvement.
So overall I was sold on it, lol. I'll do it from now on. just have to find a better mix b/w power and pre. i was doing a lot of power and very little pre. it was cool tho :D

Sweet man--I like it because I can hold onto the notes better--the strings are more tangible and I can also clean it up allot better by rolling off my volume.... I find it too loose when the volume is down. My playing seems to be sloppier and when I chunk by using up and down palm mutes I dont get chunk both ways(do you know what I mean) I think deep down Im kind of a vintage minimalist kind of guitar player. I have all of these bells on this great amp and I dont ring them much...I really just want to crank it up and play! My power amp is heavilly over mixing my preamp but the knobs still have a huge affect in the tone of the amp. Im starting to wonder if Im really and el34 guy..........is that taboo??? :oops: :D

GuitarCarr said:
This sounds interesting. I am going to try it at tonights jam with the band.
I am wonerding also what effect this has on the effects loop? I am using a rocktron intelliflex in the loop........I'll post my results and let ya know how this works on my rectoverb 50.

With your volume completely pegged like this you may not have any boost in the FX loop (wait a minute--I think you would since there is more than just the "normal" area on the back) give it a shot and let me know!! :lol:

Micah said:
Sweet man--I like it because I can hold onto the notes better--the strings are more tangible and I can also clean it up allot better by rolling off my volume.... I find it too loose when the volume is down. My playing seems to be sloppier and when I chunk by using up and down palm mutes I dont get chunk both ways(do you know what I mean) I think deep down Im kind of a vintage minimalist kind of guitar player. I have all of these bells on this great amp and I dont ring them much...I really just want to crank it up and play! My power amp is heavilly over mixing my preamp but the knobs still have a huge affect in the tone of the amp. Im starting to wonder if Im really and el34 guy..........is that taboo??? :oops: :D

I have EL34's in mine, and I love it.

ResearchTriangle said:
Micah said:

I have EL34's in mine, and I love it.

I have been toying with the Idea... Its just an expensive expirament to risk not liking it! Id like to find one in a music store somewhere that has them in it so I can try it out--!! Got any clips of you playing yours?

cellardweller said:
I noticed the "mud" factor with my single recto also with the output maxed....

Stupid question~ How do you "bypass" the effect loop? :oops:
Well, you can't bypass the Solo 50's/Rectoverb's effects loop! Essentially, your channel masters always acts as your effects loop send level, and your master output control is always your effects loop return level! By heeding the advise of this thread you are overloading that circuit (or pre-amp tube), thus experiencing "mud"! BTW, this advise would also not benefit those with the two channel models!

I tried this at a gig last night with good results, however I liked the tone with the 'output master' on about 2 o'clock and channel masters to application-specific volume.

Its a nice sound, i recommend that you at least try it once.

From the suggestions of mny on this thread I did try lowering the Output volume to check for tone differences @ different positions. To my surprise I did find a nice position @ 1 oclock on the overall output allowing me to bring my preamp volume resonably up to 8:30 or 9 and recieved a nice clear but compressed tone! :wink: It never seeses to amaze me how many nuances of tone are in this amp--it seems you could own one of these for 20 years and still never know all of the tricks in this box! I appreciate the ability to get on this forum and intertwine Ideas with everyone that seem so simple yet.........would I have ever thought about trying them? 8)

i tried this today with my solo 50 head - i had the fx loop set to wet because i use 2 pedals.
i was using an ash framus diablo with an JB sh-4 in the bridge.

my settings were -

CH-1
master 9
presence 5
bass 11
mid 12:30
treble 1
gain 9:30 in the pushed mode

CH-2
master 10
presence 5
bass 8
mid 11:30
treble 1-1:30
gain 9:30 in the modern mode

the master output was at full.

what i noticed was i couldnt use as much gain as im used to without it sounding like mud, also the same problem with the bass.
but what i got in the end was a really tight rhythm sound that would be perfect for recording with.
ill have to try and learn how to play with less gain than im used to but id love to have this sound live aswell.

cheers
:D

DAMAGED said:
i tried this today with my solo 50 head - i had the fx loop set to wet because i use 2 pedals.
i was using an ash framus diablo with an JB sh-4 in the bridge.

my settings were -

CH-1
master 9
presence 5
bass 11
mid 12:30
treble 1
gain 9:30 in the pushed mode

CH-2
master 10
presence 5
bass 8
mid 11:30
treble 1-1:30
gain 9:30 in the modern mode

the master output was at full.

what i noticed was i couldnt use as much gain as im used to without it sounding like mud, also the same problem with the bass.
but what i got in the end was a really tight rhythm sound that would be perfect for recording with.
ill have to try and learn how to play with less gain than im used to but id love to have this sound live aswell.

cheers
:D

So you like tight mids? What if you turn the mids and treble and bass up respective to each other and then turning up the gain?? Ive noticed that in order to keep things tight in a high gain situatin, it helps to turn up certain tone controls like the mids and treble in order to clear things up and give you something to grab onto. :wink:

^with this setting everything is pretty much maxed out, the gain & bass are up as far as they will go without it turning to mush. i kid you not. maybe its my speakers but i dont think so, i use an engl vintage 4x12 cab.

DAMAGED said:
^with this setting everything is pretty much maxed out, the gain & bass are up as far as they will go without it turning to mush. i kid you not. maybe its my speakers but i dont think so, i use an engl vintage 4x12 cab.

Thats weird--is there maybe something wrong with it? My Gain is @ 2:30 before it muds out(of course the term is subjective to an ear)--

Latest posts

Back