Recto noob

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisis

Reaction score
I am expecting delivery of my Single Recto soon and I am flicking through the manual while I wait (probably the only time I’ve read a manual before jumping in at the deep end!). The amp has a gain, master and output. Does this mean you can set the gain level, the power amp level and then control the actual volume by the output pot al la “Hotplate” thus driving the power amp section hard? Or is this something different?

Congrats on the new recto!

I've got a Recto-verb head and the controls work as follows.

Gain - input gain into preamp from guitar
Master - output level of preamp section
Output - power amp output level
Solo - More power amp output level with a slight boost in highs

Set your gain level to desired level of grind (or lack thereof on the clean channel). Use the master to balance the output of both channels. Use output to make the whole thing really loud! Use solo when you need to be even louder. Power amp distortion comes the old fashioned way. I use a Hotplate on mine and it works really well but you can get good sound and level control from the stock set up.

The amp has a lot of great tones in it. Take your time with it when you get it and you won't be disappointed.

Have fun!

crisis said:
I am expecting delivery of my Single Recto soon and I am flicking through the manual while I wait (probably the only time I’ve read a manual before jumping in at the deep end!). The amp has a gain, master and output. Does this mean you can set the gain level, the power amp level and then control the actual volume by the output pot al la “Hotplate” thus driving the power amp section hard? Or is this something different?

if your refering to a built in attenuator than no.... the output controls your power amp section so like previously stated you can balance each channel using each channel's volume and then set the overall volume with the output... or if you bypass the loop on the amp, you lose the output knob and basically adjust your volumes with each channels volume... some prefer the bypassed route because the signal is more pure

Woooooooooooooooooooooow

slow down there!

bypass the loop?
how?

I just got a single rec last week :twisted:

You can't bypass the loop on a Single Rec, not without a modification anyway ! I always keep the masters quite low, so that you can have the output higher and allow the power tubes to breathe a bit more. Try the settings in the manual they're a good starting point !! :D

Nuther question. How does one remove the metal caps on the preamp tubes? Do they just pull off?

stay out of there! just play it and read up, no need to get crazy

you just push in an give them a bit of a turn. there is a spring inside each one that pushes down on the preamp tube. wait like 6 months before messing with that stuff. just get used to the recto's sounds for now.

Thanks, I am not intending to do anything but the amp is a few years old and I wanted to know in case I had to replace one.

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
I always keep the masters quite low, so that you can have the output higher and allow the power tubes to breathe a bit more.

This is exactly what I do at bedroom levels. Actually I even do that for live playing too. It'll get you a way better sound.

i agree.

i push the output.

masters are low in comparison.
this is where i've found the best tones from the amp.

i've also had great success with tube, or preamp tube substitution.
the amp sounds alot different, in comparison to
the way it sounded when it had all mesa tubes...12ax7s and 6L6GCs.
it's unreal.
i notice, maybe nobody else does. i don't care.

Latest posts

Back