Recto Mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://warpedmusician.wordpress.com/2015/12/20/overview-of-the-3-channel-mesa-rectifier-design/

I'm done with regular blog posts about the DR. I put most of the design topics together to talk about the interactions and also briefly discuss the power amp and the Output control. This one took awhile to write. It's a really complex topic and I hope it comes through clearly.

I forgot to include the Solo function. I added that to the bottom of the essay.

I hope you all have a great holiday.
Later.

For those of you feeling the Blues (Rock) this holiday season, I updated the Jimmy Page page with an alternate setting.

https://warpedmusician.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/mesa-dual-rectifier-3-channel-jimmy-page

Hey afu I really enjoyed reading your info on your site and was wondering if you could do something similar with the Mark V?

barryswanson said:
Hey afu I really enjoyed reading your info on your site and was wondering if you could do something similar with the Mark V?

Thanks, man.

Maybe. I don't own one, so it ends up not being as easy, because there's no testing. The preamp modes would be easy enough to explain, but that power section is a beast.

I might do select modes, like the II C+ and IV. If I look into it and find anything peculiar, I could go with that, too. We'll see.

I had to pull my power tubes today. I put stock Mesas in it. It didn't sound very good compared to the Rubys. I looked at the Rubys and noticed the test PC was 38ma. So, I've been running the power section much warmer than I thought I was, while using Bold and Tube.

I could be wrong, but Mesa 6L6 are picked to be in the low 20s. To compensate with them, I set it to EL34, Spongy, Silicon. It got close to where the Rubys were, but not quite. When in a normal 6L6 setting, the Ruby could crunch a little and then clean up quickly. The Mesa are not cleaning up as much on EL34, but get closer if I put it on tube rectifier. I plan on getting another set of Rubys and going back to a normal setting.

To contrast the sound in 6L6 settings, I'd say the Mesas have a relative high-mid emphasis and a big low end. Ruby have a strong low-mid emphasis and tapered treble. I think this is why I've been using more treble than some of you.

I was wondering if anyone had tried a warmer set of Tung Sol STR tubes?

Update: I put it back on 6L6; followed my own instructions in regards to setting bypass volumes, turning on the loop, and then turning up the FX Send; rebalanced the channels; and returned to Awesomeland. It still sounds a little different, but balancing the channel volumes with the Send fixed most of it. I still like the higher current draw a little better. So, I guess colder and deeper.... like my ex-wife.

Sorry, I've been watching Archer.

Edit: here's a link to the blog post with greater detail of both the problem and solution: https://warpedmusician.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/sovtek-5881wxt6l6wgb-and-my-mistake/

I've been going over the posts to make corrections to my Engrish, to make sure all the pictures can be clicked, and to add in information if necessary. A lot of this was written on the fly, during morning coffee, and before I'd completed the overall analysis. That stuff is fixed. The issues with the pictures was due to a change with the page editor, but that's fixed. Now, the images can be opened in a new tab when clicked and the navigation will take less time with that.

I've been having some fun with the Boss GEQ pedal as a boost or cocked-wah. I wish it was a quieter pedal, but it's still fun for gits and shiggles. Raw really comes alive with a big mid-boost. I put the mid-center near 500Hz, where the tone stack is cutting the most and cut both ends. I can see what people mean about soloing with a boost. Adding in that mid-grind helps with Danzig/GNR/The Cult and other humbucker into boosted Marshall tones.

Hope you all are doing well and having fun.

https://warpedmusician.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/addendum-to-modification-articles/

Just elaborating on established ideas, new ideas for combinations, and some opinion.

I really appreciate that. To save space and let this float down the board, I'm going to preemptively thank anyone who wishes me well: Thanks!

Latest posts

Back