Recto cabs...70watt V30 vs. 60watt V30?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kung-Fool

Reaction score
My Recto cab is 280 watts with 70 watt V30's and I noticed the newer ones are 240 watts with 60 watt V30's. Is there any difference soundwise? Does anyone know why or when Mesa made the switch?

Kung-Fool said:
My Recto cab is 280 watts with 70 watt V30's and I noticed the newer ones are 240 watts with 60 watt V30's. Is there any difference soundwise? Does anyone know why or when Mesa made the switch?
I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I have a 2x12 Recto cab and it's the same story. There is a 120 and a 140... What's the scoop?

Kung-Fool said:

Celestion has always rated the Vintage 30 as a 60 watt speaker. When the initial ones were supplied to Marshall (they are labeled Marshall Vintage), they were rated at 70 watts. I believe that was done so there was not such a big rating drop when comparing Marshall's 1960A/B cabs (using those wretched G12T-75s) at 300 watts to their 1960AV/BV cabs at 280 watts. Mesa originally hand picked their Vintage 30s and rated them at 70 watts also, probably to match Marshall. I have read (on this forum) that even though Vintage 30 production has moved to China since 2004, the ones supplied to Mesa are still made in Ipswitch, England. I don't why they changed the rating but Celestion has always rated them at 60 watts. It is the same speaker.

Back