Recto cab vs Roadster cab ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompboxfreak72

Reaction score
I bought a Roadster head but not the cab. I have two recto cab 2x12 and an oversized 4x12 recto cab . I played my first gig with the Roadster last night and was not thrilled with the dirt channels which suprised me. Is the Roadster cab really tha much different than the recto cabs ?

My 4x12 cab sounds great with the Roadster but I am torn on the 2x12's . Any ideas/ comparisons ?

The Roadster cab is definitely not as deep. It is an inch or two smaller in all dimensions, and that seems to make a big difference. Still has the v30s though, so the basic character is still there.

Well let me ask you this, what exactly did you not like about the dirt channels?

In my opinion you might be feeling the same way i felt with 2x12's, not enough bottem end and just a little too much on the mid's. reason I think this is because you like the way it sounds through your 4x12.

With cabinets, the less internal volume (smaller cabs) you get tighter bass, however they do not give you that deep thump that a 4x12 will give you. Smaller cabs also have more mid's, it all has to do with the internal volume again.

With that being said, I have a feeling you would not like the stiletto cabs and probaly get the same feeling you have with the 2x12 recto cabs. The stiletto cabs are even smaller then the recto 2x12's so they will have the same or less bottem end as the recto 2x12 and just as much and maybe more mid's.

I wanted so badly to love 2x12 cabs, but I just cant live without the thump of the 4x12, so I will lug a 4x12 around and I have the room for it anyway, so might as well.

Now take into perspective that if you are being Mic'd at clubs, through the PA you will sound almost identical with a 2x12 as you will with a 4x12, it is just your mind playing tricks on you that you think it is different. Why do you ask, because any good sound engineer will either remove some of that low end from your cabinet in the mix, or add it if there is not enough with a 2x12, same with the Mid's, they can be dialed in or out accordingly.

stompboxfreak72 said:
I bought a Roadster head but not the cab. I have two recto cab 2x12 and an oversized 4x12 recto cab . I played my first gig with the Roadster last night and was not thrilled with the dirt channels which suprised me. Is the Roadster cab really tha much different than the recto cabs ?

My 4x12 cab sounds great with the Roadster but I am torn on the 2x12's . Any ideas/ comparisons ?

Thats definitely a good question - what didn't you like? I didn't like either the Recto or Roadster 2x12 because of the v30 mids.

What I did not like: I have used nothing but a DR for 6 years and I love channel 2 on it. I have learned to put the mids between 12 and 1 o'clock and I usually have the bass at 9 or 10 o'clock. This seemed to be the best way to avoid being muddy. I have 2 x12 cabs and a 4x12 but I only gig with th 2x12 usually due to transport issues and sometimes stage size.

That being said......the Roadster through the 2x12 does not work like the DR at all. I had to boost the bass way more than I am used to as it really lacked bottom end ( I can't believe I just said a Mesa lacked bottom end!). Also, I realize that there is a learning curve to any amp.

The Roadster is definetly not a DR with better cleans. My initial perception of the Roadster is that it does not have the same headroom as a DR and it is not as bass happy as a DR. Also, channels three and four sound " darker(?)" to me than my DR.

Because my intial perceptions really seem odd to me I wondered If I should get the Roadster cab. I have not seen one/ heard one yet so I was curious if it was really something I should pursue.

Yikes, I am rambling now........

Ya know, I would tend to believe the inefficiencies you're percieving is the exact reason the people at Mesa designed a cab just for that amp! I would bet they are a pretty good match!

I bet you are right jbird. The head has all the poop but I think there might be a reason for a matching cab. I dont know, call me slow......

I have owned a roadking, and i can tell you the distortion is close, but not exactly the same as the dual/triple rec's. The dual/triples seem to have a darker sound, i believe this is due to more of a mid cut, where the roadking was voiced more like a tremverb.

With that being said, i am telling you, the roadster cab will not be your solution, like i said, smaller cab will give you tighter bass, but less of it.

If you are getting the good amount of bass by the 4x12, then I would say you defintly need the bigger cab.

stompboxfreak72 said:
What I did not like: I have used nothing but a DR for 6 years and I love channel 2 on it. I have learned to put the mids between 12 and 1 o'clock and I usually have the bass at 9 or 10 o'clock. This seemed to be the best way to avoid being muddy. I have 2 x12 cabs and a 4x12 but I only gig with th 2x12 usually due to transport issues and sometimes stage size.

That being said......the Roadster through the 2x12 does not work like the DR at all. I had to boost the bass way more than I am used to as it really lacked bottom end ( I can't believe I just said a Mesa lacked bottom end!). Also, I realize that there is a learning curve to any amp.

The Roadster is definetly not a DR with better cleans. My initial perception of the Roadster is that it does not have the same headroom as a DR and it is not as bass happy as a DR. Also, channels three and four sound " darker(?)" to me than my DR.

Because my intial perceptions really seem odd to me I wondered If I should get the Roadster cab. I have not seen one/ heard one yet so I was curious if it was really something I should pursue.

Yikes, I am rambling now........

I am luckily playing a big venue in 2 weeks so I will haul the 4x 12 out of retirement and fire it up. I think a lot of my trouble resides in getting used to a new amp. I know how to get what I like out of a DR but I will take a while to get there with the Roadster. I had a moment of weakness and considered returning it but that is not likely to happen.

If you still have your DR, get rid of it, because side by side you will probaly prefer your dual rec every time. That is what i ended up doing and then found my love in my roadking. However now i am back to dual rec's, but the older 2 channels.

stompboxfreak72 said:
I am luckily playing a big venue in 2 weeks so I will haul the 4x 12 out of retirement and fire it up. I think a lot of my trouble resides in getting used to a new amp. I know how to get what I like out of a DR but I will take a while to get there with the Roadster. I had a moment of weakness and considered returning it but that is not likely to happen.

I am seriously considering returning the Roadster to GC. I love the cleans but thats it. I gigged with the Roadster over the weekend and actually hooked my DR us halfway through the night. I was in my comfort zone with my DR but the Roadster was not pleasing to me. My gut feeling is to return the amp before my 30 days is up and just stick to my DR. I am torn on this one big time.

Try removing some of the Mid's from the roadster, also turn the presense up a bit. How much time do you have left before your 30 days are up?

stompboxfreak72 said:
I am seriously considering returning the Roadster to GC. I love the cleans but thats it. I gigged with the Roadster over the weekend and actually hooked my DR us halfway through the night. I was in my comfort zone with my DR but the Roadster was not pleasing to me. My gut feeling is to return the amp before my 30 days is up and just stick to my DR. I am torn on this one big time.

I'm a diehard "regular" Recto lover here....played a Roadster, and LOVED the cleans compared to my Dual, but found the gain channels lacking something.

Definitely sticking with my Dual.

I have 2 weeks before my 30 days are up. +1 to Ibanez4life......the cleans rule but the dirty channels aren't as good. I am having to push all the tone controls way further on the Roadster than on my DR and I still have not found happy ground. I am convinced that my issue lies in being so comfortable with the DR. You go looking for new tones and fail to realize that what you were using grew on you whilst you were looking.

I have a Single Rec also. I can dump the SR and keep the DR and Roadster. This is not a money issue but my SR and DR have been paid off for years. I dont want to put up $2000 for what will be a backup amp.

I dont know. Im torn. [/i]

I say, if you aren't happy with it, return it for a refund. No sense in taking a loss on something you ultimately will not use to its fullest potential. Plus, you can always get another down the road if you change your mind and you will have lost nothing!

I say, bring back the roadster, keep the DR and the SR and find a Lonestar combo version one on clearence. You can get your great cleans, plus nice dirty rock channels from the roadster, plus have your dula rec for crushing tone.

stompboxfreak72 said:
I have 2 weeks before my 30 days are up. +1 to Ibanez4life......the cleans rule but the dirty channels aren't as good. I am having to push all the tone controls way further on the Roadster than on my DR and I still have not found happy ground. I am convinced that my issue lies in being so comfortable with the DR. You go looking for new tones and fail to realize that what you were using grew on you whilst you were looking.

I have a Single Rec also. I can dump the SR and keep the DR and Roadster. This is not a money issue but my SR and DR have been paid off for years. I dont want to put up $2000 for what will be a backup amp.

I dont know. Im torn. [/i]

Back