Rect'o' 50 Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightfly

Reaction score
Hi, recently had a valve failure in this so re-valved the whole thing. Since I revalved it its too bright and its lost its 'dark' edge which I loved soo much. It has a switch on the back that would allow me to use EL34s instead of 6L6s. I really want the dark tone back but not sure whats happened or if I should consider the EL34 route. Any advice would help.

Thanks.

NightFly

Here's an alternative to trying EL34's - try a GT 12AX7M (Mullard re-issue)in the V1 or V2 position in the preamp. This will definintely tame the highs and create a fuller sound.

Another dark preamp tube that is easy to find is the Sovtek 7025/12ax7WA. The WA designation is important, other designations may be much brighter. I used have used them to tame a too bright speaker/amp rig more than once. They are always available on ebay, don't pay too much for one. Common and usually frowned upon but can be useful sometimes.

It is safe to sub out preamp tubes, just be careful trying different output tubes. Keep your eye on them in case they redplate!

Latest posts

Back