Recto 2x12 vs the classic Boogie "Mini-Stack"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I have a Mk V head.

I'm debating between getting a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12s to form a mini-stack.

If I go for a 2x12 I'll probably get the Recto 2x12.

If I go for a mini-stack I'm thinking I'll go for either a pair of wide bodies (top 1/2 back, bottom closed back).

Thoughts?

If you go with a Recto, I recommend the horizontal. I have a vertical, and it's great, but the horizontals seem to have a little more low end. Not sure if you are interested in a mismatch or not, but I totally LOVE my Orange PPC212 with my Mark V. Perfect cab for me, great highs, and tremendous low end thud. Just food for thought, good luck to you on your decision.

smd24fan said:
If you go with a Recto, I recommend the horizontal. I have a vertical, and it's great, but the horizontals seem to have a little more low end. Not sure if you are interested in a mismatch or not, but I totally LOVE my Orange PPC212 with my Mark V. Perfect cab for me, great highs, and tremendous low end thud. Just food for thought, good luck to you on your decision.

I currently have it plugged into a pair of Orange 4x12s. :lol:

However, I'm looking for something a little more low key... both in terms of size and colour.

I just posted a clip of my Mark V Combo with the black shadow 1x12 and the 2x12 Horizontal in use in the settings thread (Along with the settings) if thats any help to you... if you dial that in on your existing gear, you get an Idea what the extra speakers and cab do to the sound.

The closed back/lots of floor contact of the Recto cab balanced against the open backed combo's warmth is absolutely fierce and the growl is much more too.

Boognoob said:
I just posted a clip of my Mark V Combo with the black shadow 1x12 and the 2x12 Horizontal in use in the settings thread (Along with the settings) if thats any help to you... if you dial that in on your existing gear, you get an Idea what the extra speakers and cab do to the sound.

The closed back/lots of floor contact of the Recto cab balanced against the open backed combo's warmth is absolutely fierce and the growl is much more too.

So the 2x12 Horizontal Recto is the way to go with the Mark V? I have the head...

Never was a big fan of the V30 speaker and the Mark series amps. Maybe that is why I cringe every time I see a 750 Hz slider "bottomed out". To each their own, I guess. EVM-12L is THE Mark series speaker, as far as I'm concerned.

I hear you.......My blues band settings are radically different indeed.
Thanks for the recommend. :)

But it showed the tight low response of the recto cab in these riff's cases.
And it was fun to make once again like it was 1992 for a mo. :p

Hendog said:
Boognoob said:

So the 2x12 Horizontal Recto is the way to go with the Mark V? I have the head...
The 2X12 horizontal is an amazing cab. I think you would be happy with it .

Yes I concurr with Barry, Hendog after having just 8 ohmed the 2x12 solo..

Its a beast. And shockingly light weight physically for how it looks/sounds too.
I recommend removing the casters when you get to where you play for resonance hugeness.

Get the recto vertical cab and remove the casters so it sits on the floor. I prefer it over the horizontal. My feet really get to jam out with the horizontal but the rest of my body feels neglected :lol:

You're going to want something with C90's and/or EVM's. If you can find an old metal-grille half-back 2x12, you should be set to go, or an open back over a Theile stack should net you similar effects. I have the 4x12... what a beast. No nasty Mark+V30 mids.

Thats a matter of taste , I personally dont care for C90s . I like the V30s . I recently bought a new mesa 1x12 cab that comes with a C90 and I specialed ordered it with a V30 instead .

They are all great cabs , Im just not of fan of C90s . You might compare the 3/4 back and the Lonestar cabs . Call Mesa and see what they might tell you in comparison of the two . Played a gig today through my Stiletto 4X12 slant , now that is awesome ! Mark V, 4X12, LP VOS 57 custom . Off the chains !

Barry said:
They are all great cabs , Im just not of fan of C90s . You might compare the 3/4 back and the Lonestar cabs . Call Mesa and see what they might tell you in comparison of the two . Played a gig today through my Stiletto 4X12 slant , now that is awesome ! Mark V, 4X12, LP VOS 57 custom . Off the chains !

I have an MC90 loaded LSS combo, I just haven't tried it yet as I leave it at my friends house (tired of carrying it back and forth).

Still, I'm looking at the mix of the two as I like the V30/G12T mix I use in my 4x12, so I figure I'll probably like a V30/MC90 mix too.

My wife works at a local music store and they have a few port city cabs, they sound awesome as well . I recently got the newer Mesa 1X12 wide body/closed back/ported cab . Had them put a V30 in it . Love it . Use it at home mainly .

Back