Recto 2x12 or two Thieles??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundstorm

Reaction score
I currently have a vertical Rectifier 2x12 with an EVM 12L and an Eminence Swamp Thang. I was thinking about putting a second EVM in there.

I was thinking about going with the two Thiele w/ EVMs setup. It seems it might be easier to pack and get around with two 1x12s. Would there be a dramatic difference in tone, or should I just stick with what I have? I'm using a Mark IIC+.

I would go with 2 thieles, I still haven't played a gig where I need more than 1 thiele, maybe a second speaker just to run as a monitor depending on the gig.

I've got an open back 1x12 with G12H30 for the bedroom and a 1x12 thiele with black shadow in it for practice and gigging. The thiele sounds AWESOME.

I agree that 1 thiele would be PLENTY, but an additional 1x12 would look good and sound good still... :) More is more in this case (not more is less like the old saying goes)!

I'd go with 2 thieles. or even better, one of those old halfback vertical 2x12's

Would a half back vertical 2x12 be better than two Thieles? That's kind what I was going for with this setup, but I don't think I'm coming close because I don't think it sounds very good. It could just be the Swamp Thang. The idea of selling this cab sucks, though. I hate that process.

This will sound bad, but I haven't had a chance to A/B them yet. I've only had the halfback for a couple of weeks, and have been slammed with work ever since. I will have all next week off to do some comparisons. It will prove to be interesting. 8)

edit: The halfback C90/EV 4x12 sounds great, but the SPL is quite high (if I'm saying that it is loud, it could equal unbearable for some people :lol: ) once you get the amp to its sweet spot. If you want portability, and don't want to melt faces with your volume, I would choose the thieles. Just my 2 cents. This is on the Class A setting of the simul C+ head. The inner tubes do not add much volume, just bass and clarity over the outer EL-34's.

Peace out

3rd option: (1) 2x12 Freda or 2x12 Port City tuned vented cabs...... or even just one .... they sound amazing, are light as hell, and the 2x12s are just as loud as the 4x12s with a better spectrum of tone (more or less like the thiele but both speakers in one enclosure).... just thought i'd throw something else into the mix.....

on that note.... why the hell hasn't mesa put out a tuned vented cab in a 2x12 option? the 1x12 mesa thiele is awesome but why not a 2x12 like these other companies? i'm not saying that i want them to follow the leader, but i would take out my credit card right now and buy a mesa 2x12 thiele...... and if they do already have one why havent i heard of it?

Back