Recto 2x12 - Anyone try different speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
Hey all! I just picked up a Recto 2x12 cab to get a little bigger sound at practice with my Mark IV. I really like the low end and volume this cab gives me, however, the V30s seem kinda harsh to me, and they are broken in.

I know this is not the typical cab people use with this amp, but I got it locally at a good price, and figured I could sell it if I didn't like it.

Has anyone else tried any of the other speakers in this cab, (EV, C90, others, mixed, etc.)? Results? Thanks.

Or should I just sell it and get a halfback 2x12? Being vertical, will the 2x12 halfback give the same low end thump?

i tried a v/30 and c90 mixed, and it sounded better.
i also tried 2 ev's. it made it alot smoother, but pretty dark.
i hate vintage 30's, so really anything seems like an improvement.

i tried g12-65s with nice results, and i tried 75's, but they were too bright.

I dumped the V30's from my late '90's (old logo) vertical Recto, and put an EVM-12L in the top, and an Emi Swamp Thang in the bottom. It sounds great as a closed cab.

I would like to open-up the sound a bit, and I already have gobs of tight-enough bottom from my amp/cab, so my next project will be to get a piece of decent birch plywood, and make a slotted rear panel to let more of the "magic" out. I used the same EV speaker in an open-back Fender 1x12 for years, so I'm really trying to get more of that wider open treble register.

I am alergic to V30's, and in my stock cab, they sounded like a gritty zipper on a heavy jacket...or a phonograph needle pushed across a vinyl record. :x

BTW, the halfback cabs seems get the most enthusiastic opinions I have ever seen! I was in the market for one...but the ones I was seeing on ebay for a few months looked awful...and like a picture of Courtney Love...looked like they smelled of cigarettes and cat piss! Many of them the original speakers removed, and others installed.

I am very happy with my cab, but maybe the EV/C90 combo from the original half-backs are right on the money in the first place!

If you go with EVs, go with two of them, because otherwise the cab will be way off balance. Recto 2x12s are hard enough to carry stock. :p

I'll probably be putting some EV's in my recto 2x12 if I don't end up selling it. I can't stand how the v30's break up, and they just feel muddy to me. If you can, sell it and get a 2x12 halfback, but then again, it might be cheaper just to put new speakers in it.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm liking the EV idea the best. The weight doesn't bother me too much, because I don't plan on moving it. If I end up getting a head cab for my amp, I might start looking for a halfback 2x12, but we'll see.

One more thing, these are 16 ohm speakers wired parallel, correct? Could I wire two 8 ohm speakers in series and still get 8 ohms?

Two 8 ohm speakers in series will give you a load of 16 ohms. If you end up with two 8 ohm speakers in there, I'd wire them in parallel for a load of 4 ohms, because with two EV's, you're not gonna need another cab :twisted:

A lot of people give the V30's a hard time and I admit, they have a very "ice picky" sound. On their own they are pretty harsh, but in a band... they really cut through the mix.

I have four of them in my 4x12 however and I'm planning on swapping two of them for two G12T75's to give a nice mix.

I don't mind the v30's in 4x12's, but in 2x12's they seem to break up way to early, for my taste anyway. They also seem to have a natural mid scoop and increase the lows and highs, which brings out the worst in a mesa IMO.

V30's have a mid scoop? That's the first time I've ever seen someone post that.

EDIT: in fact... to quote the Celestion website...

(Describing the V30) "Tight bass, fat mids and a smooth harmonically rich top end"

Sounds like you're describing the G12T-75...

"...with an emphasis on huge bass, relaxed mids and vibrant highs"

Not to be picky or anything :p

They may say they have warm mids, and some of them might, but in my cab they certainly sound like they have an emphasis on lows and highs and leave the mids as an undertone, where they should be out front. Then again at low volumes, the v30's sound better than that, but once they are pushed, it feels like they loose a lot of mids and get fuzzy.

do you have modify the recto 2X12 cab to put in EV speakers they look bigger than V30's?

I have two EV12L's in my 2X12 Mesa cab. I also installed Weber Beamblockers at the same time. They sound great. The EV's replaced the V30's. Only mod is you need longer fasteners for the EV's. Their frame is a bit thicker that the V30's so the screws aren't long enough. EV's were well worth the upgrade IMO.

themisfit138 said:
do you have modify the recto 2X12 cab to put in EV speakers they look bigger than V30's?

Yes the EVM 12L is the "extra large 12" design" whereas the V30 is a "small-size 12" speaker"

Latest posts

Back