Rectifiers and noise gates

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Why does almost everyone who has a Dual/Tripple/Roadster/Roadking has a noise gate pedal in their setup?

Is the noise that much!?

Who here doesn't use a noise gate?

because people like to run their gain really high and expect good tone and balls. When in actuallity it muds everything up. I run delay and wah in front of my Dual rec and my guitar is quiet as a mouse when I'm not playing. Also...some higher output pickups like to squeal. For instance....my Ibanez outfitted with a Dimarzio Super Dist. Likes to feedback a tad easier than my Jaguar with a PAF pro in it.
Other factors such as style of music, personal preference...so on...heavy metal sometimes requires many pauses and breaks in the music that basically would not be as effective without dead silence in the pauses....thus gating the guitars with make them dead silent for such an effect.

Anything I'm leaving out? I'm sure there is

Hum

My Mesas have been the quietest and least prone to squeeling, than any of the other high gain amps I have owned or currently own...and I've been through a lot of amps over the last 3 years or so. I always end up coming back to Mesa, partially for that very reason.

barneyc4 said:
Why does almost everyone who has a Dual/Tripple/Roadster/Roadking has a noise gate pedal in their setup?

Is the noise that much!?

Who here doesn't use a noise gate?
it`s not just mesa, it`s just a good thing to use w/high gain tube amps.
i`ve run gates in front and looped in marshalls to quite them down, now with the mesa i only use it in front

My stock mesa tubes where a bit noisy, but nothing unbearable...

I had a noise gate (ISP noise decimator...HIGHLY recommend it if you're looking for you) but sold it after I got my recto....VERY quiet for such a high gain amp....

After my retube with Doug, the amp is dead silent :D ...even on channel 3 modern.

Who is Doug? Eurotubes?
By the way, what tubes do you have in your recto?

Back