RECTIFIER Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fret-Shredder

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MINT Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Series 2 Head. I am using it with a 2X12 vertical recto cabinet with vintage 30 speakers. My main rig is a Mesa Triaxis with a 2:90 Power amp. Heres my question. With my TRIAXIS / 2:90 I absolutly love the heavy tone I get. It's really got a tight low end , and sustain for days. With the Single Rectifier the tone is really good but I can't get close to the Triaxis for tight low end chunk and sustain. I feel it almost needs like a TUBE SCREAMER or something to tighten it up and give better sustain while soloing. While it is great tone it still is a little muddy. Do you guys think it's SACRELIGIOUS to put a tube screamer or any other type of peddle to get what I am looking for? I am also considering a basic VOODOO LABS mod to achieve what I consider a tighter low end and better sustaining tone. Any advice is appreciated. :D

Your amp is fine look to your speakers. I don't care for the sound that the V30's have. I use Genz Benz Cabs, both the 4X12 and the 2X12.

the pros use pedals all the time with rigs valued at 100,000. I don't see a problem with it if it puts a smile on your face and makes people's heads turn :D

^^^^^ ditto on both comments ^^^^

Some people love the V30's, for my tastes....NO likey.
The V30's are all-day, very midrange, bright heavy drivers. Do you use that 2x12 with your Tri/2:90 setup?
I would...... and always will, suggest a 4x12 HALFBACK w/ MC90's/EVM-12L's or Eminence MS12 150's :D

As far as pedals go, I would suggest an EQ or your tried and true TS-9....it's YOUR tone man, do what works for ya...always ! And that will change through time and experience........AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh......MUSIC !!!!!!!!

I see you missed that day of Boogie class centuries ago: Many people on this forum have said how much success they've had with OD's in front of their rectos. It is known around here that if you really want a milky lead you gotta have some sort of TS, or 808 type of OD.

I have no problem using pedals...

BUT I agree.. the Half Back 4x12 is the way to go. It is so much better for pushing out the sound... I am not a fan of the V30's and I haven't been able to get the sound out of other cabinets.

The TriAxis and 2:90 is not a bad setup.. but you can alter the different voicing so... I was just curious what was missing for your ears... was it not as close to the Mark series... or Rect?

Good luck and keep rocking..

Latest posts

Back