Rectifier Effects Loop / Master Volume Guidance

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
So I've never liked having the effects loop engaged to enable the master volume on my Triple Rec because it always sounded worse to me than just using the channel masters, even at the same volume. Which was weird b/c I always use the master level on my Mark V and it sounds great. With my triple I have nothing hooked up in the loop, I just engaged it to enable the master volume. I also don't have the foot switch to toggle the loop on and off.

So.... With that said, today I was messing around with the loop and decided to turn the Mix knob all the way down to 10%. What a difference that made, my master volume was now usable. It sounded 100 times better. I had been just leaving the mix knob at 12 o'clock. I'm wondering if that was why i wasnt pleased with the loop engaged before.

Should I be turning the mix 100% DRY if I have nothing in the loop? (which is labeled 10%)

Also should I put a dummy patch cable to connect the send and return?

And is not having a foot switch causing any tone loss? I'm guessing the loop is permanently engaged without the foot switch attached to toggle it on and off?

I found the same thing but on my Mark V mostly. I have the FX level almost all the way down. I want a really sparkly clean channel and as soon as I raise the FX level on my recto or mark v it dirties up really fast..which I hate.

sean106ESP said:
I found the same thing but on my Mark V mostly. I have the FX level almost all the way down. I want a really sparkly clean channel and as soon as I raise the FX level on my recto or mark v it dirties up really fast..which I hate.

I didn't think the V had a mix level since its a serial loop?

SonVolt said:
sean106ESP said:

The knob where you mix the FX level right next to the send return inputs for the loop.

I'd love to hear an experienced boogiers answers to SonVolts questions if anyone knows, as I've the same questions with my Dual Rect... :?

Well, effects loop on the recto is the "thing" :))

If you running empty FX loop, it is better to have SEND on 50% and MIX on 0% (10%). In this case, it shouldn't sound different compared to FX loop off. But there is question - why would you use empty LOOP?

I just bought good old rackish Rocktron HUSH IICX and I'm gonna do the same. I will place it into FX LOOP which will be completely DRY (MIX = 0%). And I pray it won't suck my tone out!

sean106ESP said:
SonVolt said:
sean106ESP said:
The knob where you mix the FX level right next to the send return inputs for the loop.
There is NO mix control on the MKV FX Loop. It is a serial loop so there is nothing to "mix" in.

The Send Level control is just that, it controls the audio level going into (send) the loop.
See the second pic here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Mark_Series/mark5/mark5.html#gpm1_3

r0nn!e said:
I just bought good old rackish Rocktron HUSH IICX and I'm gonna do the same. I will place it into FX LOOP which will be completely DRY (MIX = 0%). And I pray it won't suck my tone out!
The loop will never be 100% dry, it's more like 90%. YMMV and it may work fine for your needs, however you may still hear noise bleeding through depending on how loud you play.

Dom

Well, I have some new experience with loop. I tried to run noisegate (Hush IICX) in loop with those mentioned settings: SEND 50% & MIX 0% and I was really amazed HOW IT DIDN'T WORK!!!! (-:

If you want NOISE GATE to work the way it should work, you have to turn mix all the way up to 100%. How surprising lol.

And I must say (again, I'm repeating) I don't like sound of my Triple with loop engaged (same as buddy upthere). Sound is very different, kind of muddy - it lacks the brightness and cuts through the band very badly. Going to experiment little more, I hope I'll get some positive souunding results soon.

Pardon me for hijacking, but I don't want to open a new thread. Anybody knows if the effect loop on the new Dual Rectifier 2010 is send or return switched when bypassing the loop with the footswitch ?

I'm pretty sure it is explained somewhere, but I can't find the thread at the moment ...

Back