Rectifier 4 x 12 cabinet.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many of you own one of these? And how good is the mids range? I.e. do the V30's kick out the mids and make it low-rangey?

I have a Peavey 6505+ head which I want to match up with a Mesa cab, its the "tried and tested industry standard" combination, my favourite bands A Day To Remember, Chunk! No Captain, Chunk!, Devil Wears Prada all use this set up.

Currently own a Marshall 1960B 4 x 12 with 2 x V30's and 2 x G12T-75's. Have read Mesa's are better constructed though.

There's 3 different versions, the straight, the slant and the stiletto? What's the difference? I've read the straight and slant have "oversized" speakers giving a bigger low end.

The Stiletto is standard size so keeps it tighter.

My band play in drop c tuning so I need something to keep up with the low growl but still have good frequencies to cut through a live mix. Not in that whole mid-scooping thing bullshit.

Which cabinet should I go for then?

I currently have the Stiletto straight 4x12 and I used to have the Standard "oversized" slant one.

The Stiletto sounds tighter and warmer (more mids). It works MUCH better for leads, kicks MAJOR *** for rhythm work and doesn't get as lost in the mix as the oversized cab does. BUT it also can sound a bit busy, like the cab privileges too much of the same frequencies and they're kinda fighting each other.

The Standard cabinet sounds HUGE...but that's the only positive point I see in this cab. The lows are overwhelming and loose, the highs sound harsh and thin. There is a big gap between the highs and the lows making it very easy to get lost in a mix.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hmm yeah I have read about the differences, I was advised to get the Stiletto as well cos of the mids, I don't want to get that flubby tone that will disappear in the mix with a loud drummer and a bassist with a fat low end.

The oversized standard one would be good for recording, but I'm happy to go for whatever will give me the best sound both live and in the studio, pref live cos I want to be heard on stage clearly.

Another option would be to run both cabs and get the best of both worlds, but I doubt I have the money/space to do this!!

I have a rectifier oversized and a marshall with all v30's. There are aspects of each cab that I like but to be honest I think I prefer the marshall. The is probably due to the fact that the marshall is smaller. That being said if you have to have a mesa cab I would prob go for the stilleto. But if budget is an issue, You can still get some good sounds out of that marshall.

I am actually thinking of changing my rec cab to have as g12k100's in an x pattern.

When you play through your Mesa do you find you can hear yourself in the mix better on stage?

I have yet to play through my Marshall with the newly installed V30's combined with the G12T-75's, so they won't be broken in for a while. These are the Marshall branded V30's I put in it by the way, not the Celestions.

Can't help thinking I'll just be paying for the Mesa name if I get a new cab? My favourite bands use them though and they are better constructed and all round good quality cabs.

I could get 2 more V30's and see how it sounds in the Marshall, or do what I originally plan and get a Stiletto next year. They'll have the Celestion V30's right?

Also how heavy is the Mesa cab? My Marshall is alright in terms of weight.

Yes the mesa cabs will have v30's. I don't think I cut through the mix any better with the mesa or marshall, Maybe slightly better with the mesa but I find that the mesa gets "beamy" meaning it changes greatly when you move side to side across the cab. That could be because it is a larger one. I don't know. I do know however that the v30's overall cut better in a mix so I think you will be very pleased with the addition of your 2 v30's. They will cut WAY better than the g12t75's!! I think you will be happy with what you have.

Yes the Mesa is built a little better and looks better. It is a bit heavier but it is also the bigger cab. Also keep in mind while the Mesa might be built better, the marshall is by no means a budget, cheapy cab. So it will still perform well. It's not like you are running a line 6 or beringer cab.

This video is actually a pretty good representation of the marshall vs Mesa cabs In my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iciye74KoFo

Mesa cabs are better constructed, no doubts about it...better sounding? With my dual recto yes, definitely. The Marshall (JCM800 cab with G12T75) is muddier and less "3D" sounding. Be aware that Mesa puts special V30s in their cabs. They are made in England, tuned to Mesa specs and sound warmer than "basic" Celestion V30 speakers. And finally Mesa cabs are SUPER heavy, and I'm not only talking about the oversized one. The Stiletto weighs 101 lbs / 45.81 kg ... only 2 kg less than the Standard cab (104lbs/47,17kg), which is significantly more than the Marshall (81,57 lbs / 37 kg).

Cheers,

Tom.

Hmm well I'm just thinking is the Mesa a worth "upgrade" to spend the money on?

I know my Marshall isn't a "cheap" cab compared to a Line 6 or so. The 2 x V30's mixed with the stock could work out well, I haven't broken them in yet.

The main things I want is good cut in the live mix, awesome growly chuggy tone and clarity. Like a modern day metalcore tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6i3DZK_5E

Some heads match better with certain cabs, you see more people with Mesa heads and Marshall cabs, 5150's/6505 series/6534+'s seem to go well with Marshalls.

I know I definitely won't go for the standard 'oversized' cabinet then. None of that flubby loose nu-metal sound thanks!

TheDownfallOfUsAll said:
How many of you own one of these? And how good is the mids range? I.e. do the V30's kick out the mids and make it low-rangey?

I have a Peavey 6505+ head which I want to match up with a Mesa cab, its the "tried and tested industry standard" combination, my favourite bands A Day To Remember, Chunk! No Captain, Chunk!, Devil Wears Prada all use this set up.

Currently own a Marshall 1960B 4 x 12 with 2 x V30's and 2 x G12T-75's. Have read Mesa's are better constructed though.

There's 3 different versions, the straight, the slant and the stiletto? What's the difference? I've read the straight and slant have "oversized" speakers giving a bigger low end.

The Stiletto is standard size so keeps it tighter.

My band play in drop c tuning so I need something to keep up with the low growl but still have good frequencies to cut through a live mix. Not in that whole mid-scooping thing bullshit.

Which cabinet should I go for then?

I have a 5150 that I run through two Marshall 1960A/B cabinets.
Sounds great, IMO.

I also have a DR with a Recto slant cabinet.
I've tried running the DR through the Marshall cabinets and it sounds tighter than the recto cabinet, IMO. I haven't tried running the 5150 through the recto cabinet though.

Not to hijack your thread, but I've been looking for a straight recto cabinet to create a stack but there seems to be two versions. One is a true straight cabinet and the other is a straight cabinet with an angled baffle. I'm wondering which straight cabinet would work best for a stack. ???

My recto cab sounds great with my mark iv and v but sounds flubby with my dual rec. The rec definitely sounds better and tighter to me with my marshall with v30's. I even like it with my peavey cab. The peavey has crazy tight lows but not much character in the mids and doesn't cut well. I should prob throw one or 2 v30's in that.

Maybe cos you've got the standard 'oversized' one? That's known for having a low loose end and no mids.

The traditional one might work well with my 6505+, maybe if I put 2 more V30's in the Marshall it'd give me a similar sort of setup, I like the low end the G12T-75's give out though.

The thing is since I had them put in I haven't been able to play at stage volume yet cos I don't have a show til next week. And even then it won't have broken in yet.

I just don't want to get the Mesa and find that I preferred the Marshall sound all along, some cabs surprisingly work very well with certain heads so this might be another case. I haven't got the room to house 2 cabs either so if I get a new one I'd have to sell the Marshall.

Just wanted to get as much research done in the meantime from other users to see what they found, with the same amp preferably.

I have a recto 4X12 slant cab with V30's. Works fine with my Stiletto head that are known to be thin sounding in some modes. I EQ a lot of that brightness out and the oversized cab helps to beef up the bottom end. Oh yea, it's heavy! 8)

It will not get lost if you are mic'd up with a SM57, The cab plays only minor part when you are micing the speaker direct like that. Now if you are not micing then yes it might get lost in the mix. FYI there are three oversized cabs, the slant front and the straight and the slant/straight. I think the slant straight is more like the traditional straight as they are probably close in internal volume.

tomprs said:
I currently have the Stiletto straight 4x12 and I used to have the Standard "oversized" slant one.

The Stiletto sounds tighter and warmer (more mids). It works MUCH better for leads, kicks MAJOR *** for rhythm work and doesn't get as lost in the mix as the oversized cab does. BUT it also can sound a bit busy, like the cab privileges too much of the same frequencies and they're kinda fighting each other.

The Standard cabinet sounds HUGE...but that's the only positive point I see in this cab. The lows are overwhelming and loose, the highs sound harsh and thin. There is a big gap between the highs and the lows making it very easy to get lost in a mix.

Cheers,

Tom.

Multiple good points made on the thread. I have owned quite a few 4x12s... b52, mesa and marshall. I prefer the oversized mesa 4x12 above all. It is huge sounding, very loud and gives me the body of freq I want to hear and will position to overload specific freq if needed. The cab it self and most 4x12s are super directional, like a beam of sound within a straight a line of the speakers out. One of the reasons I like open back cabs, fills the room nicer. It's also the heaviest freaking cab I have ever owned, put that sucker in a roadcase and you need help moving it.

There are a couple of factors outside of the cab, make and speakers. If you sit your cab on the floor, a la no casters - the bass is insane and it almost feels like the cab got louder. If you use a mic at a show, depending on which, more than not the sound guy as a sm57... Throws it in front of the center of one of the speakers and tells you to turn down. We all know that and it's frustrating to no end! The room you are in plays a part, used to practice in a storage garage, holy cow everything was mud in there, all freq fought at every level, awful.

All in all, function comes to mind. Mesa builds quality to stuff but it's heavy and hard to move. I started to use my roadster/4x12 less and less to gig and opted for my ROV combo and an additional 1x12. Keep in mind I am not playing metal either so I understand the need for a super focused tight sound, playing rock so the open backs were refreshing, light and still gave me the mesa tone.

I've been searching around online and all the sites seem to state the traditional 4 x 12 is "not available".

Have Mesa stopped selling this particular cab now? Or is there another reason?

TheDownfallOfUsAll said:
I've been searching around online and all the sites seem to state the traditional 4 x 12 is "not available".

Have Mesa stopped selling this particular cab now? Or is there another reason?

Nope still for sale and still on Mesa Website, here is a link for sweetwater music.

Traditional Straight.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StilCab412ST

Traditional Slant
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StilCab412SL

I may wish to add I'm from the UK, and 3 sites I've been on that did sell it 6 months ago don't have it listed on their site anymore. Maybe they stopped shipping them to the UK.

Back