Rectifier 2x12 with 140 Watts ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderJollyRoger

Reaction score
Are there two different models ? The actual series seems to have 120 Watts, but apparently there exists a 140 Watt version ?

Anybody knows the difference ??

Thanx

there's a big to-do about 60 watt v30s vs 70 watter or Chinese vs English. everything varies a little but there all basically the same from what ive heard.

Mine is 140... I heard these were made in England, and the 120 in China.
They sound the same... I believe

The V30s in the Roadster Cab I just ordered are chinese made? I'm not sure what to think about that. On the other hand Mesa Boogie has always been about quality. Does anyone have anymore info on this? I wonder why they didn't just stick the regular 70 watt V30s in the Roadster Cab? I ordered the Roadster Cab because its a bit more compact. I was not aware of the chinese made v30s though. Hmm....

screamingdaisy said:
140w is standard. Has been for years.

It was but appears to have changed to 120. Since when?.... I'd be curious to know. Mesa is starting to be just as good as Gibson when it comes to informing people of changes in products.

GuitarGuy503 said:
screamingdaisy said:
140w is standard. Has been for years.

It was but appears to have changed to 120. Since when?.... I'd be curious to know. Mesa is starting to be just as good as Gibson when it comes to informing people of changes in products.

I have a relatively new 2x12 that's 140w. The store only started carrying Mesa in 2009, so the oldest it can be is a year old.

Hey All -

Lots of confusion out there about wattages of Vintage 30s and Chinese vs. English manufacturing.

As for Mesa and its labeling, we have for years labeled our cabs as using V30s that are 70 watt handling capable and nearly any V30 built in the last 20 years is indeed plenty capable of a 70 watt handling capacity.

However, in the last year or so, in an effort to have our info consistent with the Celestion website, we've changed some of our literature to reflect a 60 watt handling capacity but haven't completely phased in new stickers for the back of the cabs quite yet. That's in process but while that's the case, there will still be some cabs out there that say 140 watts for 2x12 V30 cabs.

Wattage handling capacity is, in Boogie's view, a very vague reference to a generally misunderstood and much deeper concept. While we would suggest that there's not much issue to having 10 watts handling capacity more or less on either side when referring to Vintage 30s, the REAL subject for TONE is Chinese vs. English made.

Mesa continues to have our Vintage 30s made to our specs in Ipswich, England. We pay a premium for said speakers and do so because we feel they sound better than their current (and original) production from China. It's not something we broadcast out of respect for Celestion and ultimately, because we feel the speakers speak for us and the amps that get played through them. :wink:

Any amp can only sound as good as the speakers they are played through.

Hope this helps.

AB

It seems that what i was told is incorrect... but it explains all of them sounding the same.
Still... even if they were made in china, i don't believe Mesa would let the chinese build crappy speakers.
There are a lot of components built in china that are high quality!!
Imagine the Range Rover from Land Rover, they want to build it in China, and i bet if they do, it will still be the best luxury off roader in the world...
just a thought

Latest posts

Back