Recording Mark IV using my computer (help)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cesjr

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before but with new products being released all the time I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm looking for a recording interface that uses fire wire or maybe even USB with a mic input so I can mic my cab. A built in mic preamp would be preferred as I'd rather not have to purchase a separate mic preamp.

I know when recording quality and price are concerned the sky is the limit. But I'd like to have really good quality at a decent price. What do some of you guys use for recording, what would you recommend?

A few that caught my eye are:

M-Audio FireWire Solo
Mackie Spike

depends on your budget
something like an m-box would be perfect, forget the m-audio stuff

although
if you want to keep it simple and free

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

is a great program
i have had fantastic results using the recording out of my mark IV
just get a cable to run from it to the line in on your sound card

for just putting down ideas and basic stuff its pretty decent

if i had the money for that purpose right now i think i would get a Presonus Firebox. i use the Firestudio in the studio and it's a great tool; the Firebox has 2 inputs and onboard pre's, but its a bit pricey at $250-$300

eltrain858 said:
if i had the money for that purpose right now i think i would get a Presonus Firebox. i use the Firestudio in the studio and it's a great tool; the Firebox has 2 inputs and onboard pre's, but its a bit pricey at $250-$300

Careful with the Firebox.. they seem to have issues with quality because half the reviews are glowing and the other half are horror stories.. presonus has terrible CS from what I've read.

Thanks for all the infomation guys. As far as software goes I'm covered, I have (Cool Edit Pro) Adobe Audition.

I'll have to look into Presonus and Digidesign stuff.

As far as my budget goes I'd like to spend no more than $200-$300.

What would you recommend for mics? I'd be mic'ing up my 4x12 recto cab, would a SM-57 be my best bet?

The 57 is a tried-n-true mic. Use it in combination with something else.

You could try a large diaphram condenser at a distance, and a cheap one will do the trick.

For my home studio I use a Behringer U-Control USB interface ($30) and a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer ($60) connected by RCA cables and a Shure SM57 ($100). This is a cheap solution for a solid setup for scratch recordings, song ideas, or even demo's. For my band's rehearsal space we actually have a really nice recording setup, but for under $200 I think the sound quality is great on the behringer stuff. I had a couple all in one usb and firewire boxes, and nothing under $500 compares to the quality I've been getting out of this setup. Don't expect magic from it, but it's a good start. The cables you use to connect everything will make a huge difference as well, so don't skimp on the mic cable or any other cables in your setup.

Yall are gunna hate me, but I prefer the DD Protools HD|3 Kit w/ 8|Pre and and 192|i/o :). I also tend to use my avalon 747sp as my guitar mic pre and compressor for basically the smoothest sound youve ever heard in your life =D

But, if you dont have a HD studio @ your disposal, then go w/ a digi002/003 rack (mbox sux) ;)

I use the Fire box with a Sennheiser E906 and a planet waves mic cable. Real clear at 96KHz. It's enough for song ideas and actually can make some pretty surprising recordings. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as my firebox has not given me any problems...

I'd like to find a decent external recording interface. I only have a laptop so I can't go the sound card route.

Well, if you want the rolls-royce of soundcards, I'd get yourself an RME Hammerfall (HDSP9632). They're as professional as they get, with excellent software support, but they are quite pricey. As far as mics go, you can't go wrong with a Shure SM57 to get you started on the right road!

Latest posts

Back