Recommend speakers for MkV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What speakers will bring out the best of the MkV? I've got a 2x12 recto cab loaded with V30's, but am curious as to whether that's the best combination for the head?

Thanks!

I have been playing mine through two avatar premier vintage 2x12's. One with greenbacks and one v30/g12h30 combo. I prefer the greenbacks. To be fair though, I dialed in my tones on the gb cab. I just tested the other other cab and didn't adjust my settings at all.

After my epic qwest for the perfect Mark series speaker, I've settled on the G12T-100. Compared to a V30 it has tighter bass, none of that horrid mid pronounced spikey crap, and no ice-pickey trebble. Everybodys ears are different though.

ryjan said:
After my epic qwest for the perfect Mark series speaker, I've settled on the G12T-100. Compared to a V30 it has tighter bass, none of that horrid mid pronounced spikey crap, and no ice-pickey trebble. Everybodys ears are different though.
Interesting. I've been considering some speaker experimentation, and the 100's were on the list. What style music do you play? Thanks.

dodger916 said:
ryjan said:
Interesting. I've been considering some speaker experimentation, and the 100's were on the list. What style music do you play? Thanks.
Hard rock, metal, blues...
They have a slight scoopy sound that marries up well with the mid-heavy Mark amp. You wont believe how tight the bass is with these speakers. With V30's it was loose and rumbly, with G12t-100's it really punches your chest. It also makes the higher frequency sliders on the geq a lot more useable. I couldnt go much over the middle with the 6600 slider without the icepicks attacking me, now at about 3/4 to the top its perfect. Just a more "present" speaker without being tinny or trebbly. Basically this is a hot-rodded version of the G12t-75's that are in most of the marshall cabs with better bass and smoother high end.

ryjan said:
dodger916 said:
ryjan said:
They have a slight scoopy sound that marries up well with the mid-heavy Mark amp. You wont believe how tight the bass is with these speakers. With V30's it was loose and rumbly, with G12t-100's it really punches your chest. It also makes the higher frequency sliders on the geq a lot more useable. I couldnt go much over the middle with the 6600 slider without the icepicks attacking me, now at about 3/4 to the top its perfect. Just a more "present" speaker without being tinny or trebbly. Basically this is a hot-rodded version of the G12t-75's that are in most of the marshall cabs with better bass and smoother high end.
Mucho gracias!

I'm a big fan on 1x12s. They give you a lot of options. Mixing and matching different speakers seems to give me the best results. I currently have a Thiele with a Mojo BV-30, Open Back with EVM, Open Back with C-90 and Closed Back C-90.

I'm still experimenting (I just picked up the two C-90 cabs this week) but what I've found is I don't like any of them by themselves but the combined sound of two can be stellar. They each off set the other's weakness when blended.

GD_NC said:
I'm a big fan on 1x12s. They give you a lot of options. Mixing and matching different speakers seems to give me the best results. I currently have a Thiele with a Mojo BV-30, Open Back with EVM, Open Back with C-90 and Closed Back C-90.

I'm still experimenting (I just picked up the two C-90 cabs this week) but what I've found is I don't like any of them by themselves but the combined sound of two can be stellar. They each off set the other's weakness when blended.
+1...the ev Thiele /Mk V combo could be too bright in the hands of lesser mortals :) I have a c90thiele/ev thiele stacked, not stirred... :D

im using an orange 212 cabinet (sounds eff'ing HUGE )

and an orange 112 cabby for practices or lazy jams.. the 112 sounds like a 112.... that 212 though.. wow.. i brought home a recto 212 and it was pathetic (compared to the orange)

I switched last night (again) to the C90 Combo and 12L Thiele. I had been running the 412 but the other new guitar player is using a 2x12.

I may go back to the MS12 in the Combo once I sell a couple pieces of gear. The one I have rubs :(

I think I've decided to go wet/dry or L/R or w/d/w in the near future, so I think at that point I may buy another thiele and use the thieles for wets and the combo for dry.

For those that use the EV/Celestion mix, I am with you! I haven't found a better combination of speakers yet.

Best I've tried thru preference wise is the Mesa Stiletto 4X12 straight cab. The Rectifier cab equivalent is good too...

ANY ROADKING CAB YOU HAVE THE CHOICE OF OPEN OR CLOSED CABS OR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, THE MATH IS EASY ON THIS ONE1

I've been very happy with V30's (they are broken in and have lost the shrillness), but really want to try the G12T-100's that someone on here had recommended. I am on a search for tighter bass, and I'm hoping a speaker can cure it.

rizboog said:
ANY ROADKING CAB YOU HAVE THE CHOICE OF OPEN OR CLOSED CABS OR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, THE MATH IS EASY ON THIS ONE1

which speakers do you prefer with your roadking cabinet

The Combo has the C90... my original C90 seemed to break in very nicely but it went bad after 5 weeks and Mesa replaced it... this C90 doesn't not seem to want to break in at all! It's very harsh an brittle and a loose in the lows. Probably have a good 50-60 hours on it now and sounds no different from day 1.

Any suggestions on just replacing the Combo speaker. I know 2 speakers would be better and I have a Roadking 112 with a V30 but has the same harsh issues with it... it is not broken in at all... don't think my ears can handle another 40 + hours of break in...

Bte, still using stock tubes.....

Thanks!!

ryjan said:
dodger916 said:
ryjan said:
yup, I've been a t-100 evangelist after I tried them. great speakers... my 2x12 cab has gone from the stock EV's to v30's to t-75's and finally the t-100's...

After trying g12-t100's I cant believe that most companys still put v30's in their cabs. Maybe I'm missing the boat or something but I just can't figure out where the attraction with the v30 comes from. The t100 and k100 kill it in about every way.

Latest posts

Back