Recommend speakers for MkV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryjan said:
After trying g12-t100's I cant believe that most companys still put v30's in their cabs. Maybe I'm missing the boat or something but I just can't figure out where the attraction with the v30 comes from. The t100 and k100 kill it in about every way.

opinions between the two? they're not the same, obviously. the t100 looks like a less-middy, tighter bottom speaker. whereas the k100 is a bit more middy, though not spiky. is that right? anything else you'd like to add about these?

The K-100 sounds more like an EVM12L or celestion's take of one anyway. The T-100 is more nuetral I guess. Just really tight. Great speaker for me because I am always changing my tone and this speaker lets the GEQ do its job without adding too much of its own personallity.

ryjan said:
this speaker lets the GEQ do its job without adding too much of its own personallity.
exactly. I liked the t-75's, but when you cranked the EQ's low freq. it would start to rumble/fart. the t100's just do what you'd want/hope/expect...

kiff said:
ryjan said:
this speaker lets the GEQ do its job without adding too much of its own personallity.
exactly. I liked the t-75's, but when you cranked the EQ's low freq. it would start to rumble/fart. the t100's just do what you'd want/hope/expect...
Exactly! It's like the big boy version of the t-75.

I've seen a nice youtube demo of an
Avatar OS 1x12 cab with an eyecandy Sugarcone speaker in it
you should check this one out
or a 4x12 with Scumbacks XH75-LHDC mixed with celestion G12K100 speakers

Very awesome speaker combination

ryjan said:
After trying g12-t100's I cant believe that most companys still put v30's in their cabs. Maybe I'm missing the boat or something but I just can't figure out where the attraction with the v30 comes from. The t100 and k100 kill it in about every way.

so i got a chance to try a 4-ohm t-100 both outside and inside a cab (for testing purposes). something must be wrong cause running a mark iv into it even at lower volume (2 on the master) makes it rumble and fart out on the e and a strings. :( i was looking forward to using one in the 1x12 bogner. it'd be tight and focused, but not too uncolored as the evm. sigh. i will need to take it back to the store. i gave em a call and they were sympathetic and confused. for a 100w celestion, there should be no problem handling a mark iv at low vol. :?

has anyone has this problem just running the t-100 by itself out of the 4 ohm tap? i'm disappointed, but not altogether stuck. i also acquired an old 4x12 mesa, the 4jb, which is the half open w/ c-90's and half closed w/ evm 12l's. i'm going to just parts it out cause i don't really need all 4 speakers and i got a really, really good deal on it. i'm still hoping another t-100 user might have had better luck cause i like the tone on the higher strings.

I JUST (and I mean just) put a set of t-100's in my Avatar cabinet based on the recommendations here. I can say that they're a fairly neutral speaker, very tight on the low end. I replaced a combo of g12h-30 and v-30, as I wanted to safely run some modes in 90 watt.

They still need to break in, but so far, I dig them.

Oh, and hi :)

mejoshee said:
ryjan said:

so i got a chance to try a 4-ohm t-100 both outside and inside a cab (for testing purposes). something must be wrong cause running a mark iv into it even at lower volume (2 on the master) makes it rumble and fart out on the e and a strings. :( i was looking forward to using one in the 1x12 bogner. it'd be tight and focused, but not too uncolored as the evm. sigh. i will need to take it back to the store. i gave em a call and they were sympathetic and confused. for a 100w celestion, there should be no problem handling a mark iv at low vol. :?

has anyone has this problem just running the t-100 by itself out of the 4 ohm tap? i'm disappointed, but not altogether stuck. i also acquired an old 4x12 mesa, the 4jb, which is the half open w/ c-90's and half closed w/ evm 12l's. i'm going to just parts it out cause i don't really need all 4 speakers and i got a really, really good deal on it. i'm still hoping another t-100 user might have had better luck cause i like the tone on the higher strings.
Sorry to hear that. You either got a defective speaker or an air leak in your cab causing the phartiness. I have mine in a vertical 2x12 recto cab and believe me, I have flogged the snot out of them and they handle everything so far. Mine are 16 ohm but tonally, that shouldnt matter.

At guitar center I tried the Marshall, Boogie (horiz and vert), and Egnater 2 x 12 cabs. The Egnater was the oversized cab, sealed back with removable plate to have two sounds. The Boogie 4 x 12 cab in the recto stack sounded great but size made it off the table. The Marshall lacked the chugability I wanted but was bright, the boogie was good (horiz cab). The vertical angled Boogie was larger and had a bit more punch but is an odd size/look. The Egnater had great punch, same speakers/cabinet wood/heavy duty removable casters as boogie. The MK V loved the punchy cab at high volumes. I brought my tuned down to D Skully guitar to the store and banged out Sad but True at live volume as the chug test. It was thick and deep. I will go for the second Egnater oversized 2 x 12 cab at Christmas if Santa is down with it. She seems to think the MK V and Petrucci guitar this year is enough for anyone. Women....

im useing emeince swampthang and texas heats in a x pattern they are probally the best i have heard my head though. I like the v30s and g12ts but the st and th's really give me a diffrent type of tone. Much crunchier which is what i like my bottom straight cab sounds ginormous. Plus im useing foam insulation inside my cabs with 10 guage wireing.

I've been very happy with my lone 3/4 back 1x12 with a well broken in C90. All the praise for the T100 has me intrigued though. How would the C90 compare to the T100?

After a few days with the t100's.... they're ok. They're a very neutral speaker IMO, not particularly warm. Nor does any one frequency range really jump out at you, which I suppose is a good thing.

For me, I tend to think that a 4/12 full of g12h-30's is what would make me happiest at this point, but that isn't gonna happen anytime soon :)

Latest posts

Back