Recommend a new speaker for my MK I RI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jryan

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade the speaker in my MK I RI. The current one sounds pretty good, but I'd like something that can really handle the power that this amp is capable of. Currently the stock speaker is in it, but I've heard lots of recommendations of a common speaker people use to upgrade with...but I cant remember which one.
Anyhow, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Oh..I should mention I use the amp in a funk/jazz sort of band. I use it for very loud and clean sound. I get all my other sounds thru my pedals, so I really just want something that can handle volume without breaking up to much, if the speaker will help w/ that.

Thanks!

I must chime in, I just installed an ElectroVoice EVM 12-L Classic in my LSC and it is amazing. You might try the same speaker only in the Black Label (Zakk Wylde) version. A little pricey but very very worth the investment

rustyvandewege said:
I must chime in, I just installed an ElectroVoice EVM 12-L Classic in my LSC and it is amazing. You might try the same speaker only in the Black Label (Zakk Wylde) version. A little pricey but very very worth the investment

Thanks for the input guys.
Acutually, thats really good to hear about the EVM12-L because I just bought one yesterday! I had heard really good things about these speakers and I found one at a good price so I jumped on it. Cant wait to hear it!

Thanks again

EV will sound grrrreeat, as tony would say.

Those Altec speakers are pretty cool, too - I have a 4178C but it's only a 75w speaker. It is definitely part of the "Mark I Sound" if you will.

For classic rock the Altec would be sweet. For more well rounded sounds maybe the EV would work better. If you can handle the weight I'd just use the EV forever and not worry about it. :)

Glad you're digging the amp, too. :)

I think that the Altec 417-8H series II has a 100 Watt conservative power rating. They even tell you, you can use them on 100 W amps. Altec offers lifetime warranty on these speakers, I believe.

That is during the ownership time of the original purchaser. I guess it is the same thing for some wires.

Back