Recommend a good EQ please!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David.W

Reaction score
Im shopping the idea of mabye adding an EQ of sorts to my rig. Can anyone recommend some brands. Pedal or rack is fine..

Thanks

Alesis DEQ230 (rack)
Boss Pedal equalizer
Nady GEQ-131 (rack) single channel
Nady GEQ-231 (rack) dual channel

there are more too. cant think of them atm

EDIT: dunlop make some too but im not real fond of them

David.W said:
Anyone here EQ'ing their tone these days?

Yes, in the studio I EQ pretty much every guitar track (using a very basic, cheap Apex rack unit), just so multiple guitar tracks will shelve into the mix properly. That often results in tones I'd never use live/solo but sound great in the mix. I have used EQ live in a two-guitar band where we were doing a lot of complex interplay, again, so that each guitar was occupying a specific frequency space in the mix. To me it only really matters live if the gig's either very quiet or the room's got great sound.

I am considering a Boss EQ20 (the twin pedal). It has memory settings and would look nice next to a DD20. ;)

However, I used the Danelectro Fish'n'Chips for a two years. It was totally silent when you turned it on. Better than the GE7 which is three or four times the price. I know they look cheap but mine never let me down.

Hey, that MXR 10-band goes from 500hz to 1k. I always see the 750-800 on other guitar EQs...including the ones on Boogies.

I've recently had an opportunity to play with an Alesis DEQ230. I've really liked it-- very transparent-sounding, good documentation, excellent memory system, and the LED bands are really nice for stage or in a low-light studio. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy one because I'm trying to keep my live rack to 4 spaces plus pedalboard, and I already have a perfectly usable EQ for the studio.

The main attraction with the Alesis is you get a 30-band EQ that's totally usable live. The only downside I've noticed so far is that if you're tweaking as opposed to using presets, it's a little slower to switch between bands than a traditional manual interface. You'd only notice if you were super anal about workflow.

phyrexia said:
Hey, that MXR 10-band goes from 500hz to 1k. I always see the 750-800 on other guitar EQs...including the ones on Boogies.
Thats because the MXR is a full octave 10 band eq that covers 10 octaves from 16000 Hz all the way down to 31.25 Hz. The eq's your refering to including the Mesa's don't cover as large a frequency range nor do they give you control of every octave in the frequency range they do cover.

lol, ok, when would you want 31.25Hz *up*? If you're in a doom band without a bass player? <g>

semi-ot: there was this one sound man in a club in my old hometown who was the worst engineer on the planet, he had this amazing gift of being able to make everything incredibly loud, but you still couldn't hear anything. If it was a power trio it was merely awful, but anymore than three instruments and it would be just this tidal wave of sonic ***.

I think the guy had ruined either his ears or his brain on one kind of rock or another ;-)

He was the *reason* I started taking eq on stage. It helped! The other guitarist and I would just roll off our extreme highs and lows, and then we'd just coordinate on the mids a little and we'd sound waaaaaaay better. Later we discovered what those "high cut" and "low cut" things on reverb and delay mean, and started playing with them too.

Good sound guys will often end up doing some of this for you, and in a really crap-sounding room it won't matter (like I said above.)

CoG said:
lol, ok, when would you want 31.25Hz *up*? If you're in a doom band without a bass player?
MXR did not put it there for no reason. It is a useful control that I do in fact use, most often with openback combos which are notoriously lacking in the bass end of the frequency range. Even though the guitar doesn't have any primary notes that low there is harmonic information down there (particularly with semi-hollow bodies) that's useful and should not be lost just because there's a bass player in the band. And no I do not play doom music. Besides where is it written that just because there is a bass player the guitar player should give up that portion of the frequency range. :roll:

CoG said:
lol, ok, when would you want 31.25Hz *up*? If you're in a doom band without a bass player? <g>
Or maybe, just maybe...
...You don't want 31.25 *up*. You might want to *cut* to save valuable "head-room". And to avoid mush in the mix.
Just maybe :wink:
BillA

Latest posts

Back