Recomendation needed - clear sounding overdrive pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjdude

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've been experimenting with my Mark V:35, trying to use an overdrive pedal into ch2 while running it semi-dirty, and using the OD to achieve more gain. Kinda like trying to make a 2 channel amp into a 3 channel amp. Trouble is, every OD pedal I've tried seems to make the tone really nasal. I'm looking for an OD that will crunch the channel up a bit more and stay clear while doing so. I've read some good things about the TC Spark and Sparkle Drive, but no experience with them.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

The TC spark is super clear either in front as a gain boost or in the loop for a volume boost. I usually swap between that and a TS9.

I like the Keeley Oxblood into my Mark V and 5:25. Primarily using it on Channel 2 (Edge or Crunch) on the Mark V head though. Low drive (9:00) with Phat and Clipping to the right pushes Edge or Crunch into a nice hot rod Marshall tones.

I ordered a TC Spark mini. This seems to be the way to go for uncolored boost.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I use a Spark mini and Flux Drive on Ch 2. The Flux will add some balls and make it sound a lot like Ch 3 (I max my gain on Ch 2 in Crunch mode), but the Spark is more subtle and definitely less colored in comparison to the Flux Drive.

I also love the Spark on Ch 1 Clean or Fat, especially with a piezo blended with the Illuminator neck (JP15).

I got the TC Spark Mini yesterday, and tried it out last night. Firstly, it works perfectly. I set channel 2 in Xtreme mode and set my gain at 9:30-10:00. With the Spark's knob turned about halfway, it really turns up the heat on channel 2! This pedal rocks, and has turned my Mark V:35 into a 3 channel amp!! Love it!! 8)

Latest posts

Back