Real, Original Mark I ...your thoughts and advice, please!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Hey all,

Of those of you who know these beasts, I am looking for your advice. An acquaintance of mine has a real (NOT reissue) Mark I combo in blonde, with th orig Altec 12", has the GEQ, and I think reverb, too. It's in great shape, had it "gone over" by a notable tech in LA maybe 5 years ago, rarely played it since, and he's selling it with an anvil case. Now given I have loved Boogies in the past, but eventually sold them to settle into my present use-all DC5 and Express, I do not need another amp, especially since I prefer/need channel switching most of the time (and we all know the Mk I is are not).

So here I am, faced with a Boogie dilemma: is this a "cool" enough Boogie to own and love knowing that I will likely not gig with it (likely not, but who knows, eh?). I dig the "history" and "cool factor" of it, but how hate to think I'm buying a boat anchor to look at. Those of you who've played/owned em ...gimme your thoughts about tone.

And of course, what would you pay for this amp in good shape with GEQ, reverb, and Anvil? I want to be fair to him, but frankly this is a bad time to be spending this kind of money on a superflous piece of gear (yes, nice gear, to be sure), when I already have amps that "do it" for me. But part of me says amps like this don't come up often, let alone locally. Help me make a decision, gents! :)

Edward

It is a cool Boogie to own and excellent pedal platform in a small box. I couldn't give you an exact price or value on it bu I have seen them go anywhere from $600.00 to $1500.00 (Hardwood cab) so it is really a subjective matter. You might have a hard time flipping it right now if your not happy. Got any pics?

What he said. Mark Is aren't all that popular on the used market and usually go for a song.

Most people will probably immediately think high gain Santana type stuff, but if you back the gain way down they're pretty cool crunch boxes that give up fat 70s tones all day long.

Combine it with a couple of pedals for leads and you have an amp that can go from clean to scream with a twist of the guitar's volume and kick to the old overdrive pedal.

I owned a 1978 60/100 GEQ model for many years. It had the FX loop added like the Mark IIB Post FX Level mod and reverb added in the Mark IIC style, and the GEQ moved after the Master volume in the circuit. A much improved version of the original, for sure. I sold it a few years ago for $1300. It was a volume beast much like my current Electradyne. Bottom line is that the Mark I is great for recording, but not very user friendly for live use.

I appreciate all the thoughts, guys. I'll ring him up and ask if I can live with it for a few days ...gauge the "cool factor" that way, and perhaps Ill have a better idea of how much I want this. Thanks all!

Edward

Back