Re: Comparing Lone Star Combo to Lone Star Head & Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT4033

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I went amp shopping with a friend recently, and we both fell in love (again) with the Lone Star classic. He's pulled the trigger and ordered a 2x12 combo, but I am thinking about the head + cab version.

My question is:

What (if any) sonic differences might I expect from the cab compared to the combo version?

I have the LSC 1x12 combo but I sometimes run it through one or two 2x12 recto cabinets (I own two 2x12s and a Thiele).

I find that the 1x12 can totally hold it's own in the low end department without using an extension cabinet. However, it sounds HUGE coming through the recto cabinets.

I had the choice between a head version of the LSC and the combo. I chose the combo because it allows me to "vary my firepower" as required. For example, for small gigs I only need to bring the combo. For larger clubs I'll sit the combo on a 2x12 recto cab. For gigs where I need to kill people I can run the combo through two of the 2x12s.

You can't go wrong either way - Just choose based on what you want to carry around.

rippingrudy said:
I have the LSC 1x12 combo but I sometimes run it through one or two 2x12 recto cabinets (I own two 2x12s and a Thiele).

I find that the 1x12 can totally hold it's own in the low end department without using an extension cabinet. However, it sounds HUGE coming through the recto cabinets.

I had the choice between a head version of the LSC and the combo. I chose the combo because it allows me to "vary my firepower" as required. For example, for small gigs I only need to bring the combo. For larger clubs I'll sit the combo on a 2x12 recto cab. For gigs where I need to kill people I can run the combo through two of the 2x12s.

You can't go wrong either way - Just choose based on what you want to carry around.

Yes! I only got one ext. The combination of closed back/open back just kills.

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the comments. Given the expressed advantages of combining open back with closed back cabs I wonder: is anyone here using a Road King cab with their Lonestar?

I would choose head+cab. Flexibility in using any cab combination, portability, tubes don't get ratlle around as much so may last longer. If you use the LS cab, there is no sonic difference with the combo, to me anyway.

ja22y said:
...If you use the LS cab, there is no sonic difference with the combo, to me anyway.

Thanks, ja22y. That's what I was hoping to hear. :)

rippingrudy said:
...and his tone really, really sucks.

:lol:

If I go the cab route I'd use either 2 x 10 or 4 x 10 Lonestar cab.

Parenthetically, I do wonder why (AFAIK) Mesa does not built any 2 x 10 cabs. That is a configuration I like quite a bit.

AT4033 said:
rippingrudy said:
...and his tone really, really sucks.

:lol:

If I go the cab route I'd use either 2 x 10 or 4 x 10 Lonestar cab.

Parenthetically, I do wonder why (AFAIK) Mesa does not built any 2 x 10 cabs. That is a configuration I like quite a bit.
You don't have to buy a mesa ext cab. I didn't.

I have the Lonestar short head and I really like the portability factor with the head. I have four different cabs that I use with it:

1. Bogner 212-Vintage 30's
2. Avatar 212-CL80's
3. Custom 212-EVM-12L's
4. Custom 112-EVM-12L

My favorite is the 212 with the EVM's. Unbelievable sound, beautiful cleans and when cranked up can literally shake the venue. The only problem is the weight with the EVM cab. I think the cab weighs somewhere around 100 lbs. My favorite setup is the Avatar 212 on one side and the EVM 212 on the other.

AT4033 said:
ja22y said:
...If you use the LS cab, there is no sonic difference with the combo, to me anyway.

Thanks, ja22y. That's what I was hoping to hear. :)
tone..

There should b...But, I found that there was a significant difference. I originally purchased the Head/Cab version of the LSC and couldn't bond with the tone....I always found that the 2x12 combo at the store sounded sweeter to my ear. So I sold the head/cab and purchased the 2x12 combo -- and prefer the tone much better...

...although the weight does make me wish that I owuld have just tried a different cab/speaker combination to get to my ...cause the weight is killing me :shock:

rippingrudy said:
I know Andy Timmons uses his Lonestar with 2x12 recto cabs and his tone really, really sucks.

You must be kidding.

AT's tone w/ the Lonestar kicks all kinds of ***.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get a head/cab just for the fact that I have a bunch of different cabs that I could use if I want to.

I've got the head and used to have the matching cab and sold it as I pretty much only play it through my Avatar OS 212 which is sealed. It sounds incredible through either cab but I really dig the crunch sounds through the sealed back 212.

I'd get the short head and a Recto 212 with V-30's were I you.

Back