Rcording Out - Slave Out (DI) question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guibara

Reaction score
Hi there!

Newbie here in need of some help... I want to record my Mark IV straight into my ProTools 192 (No mic, no pre amp / DI box). My questions are:

Can I go straight into the 192 without a preamp/di box of some kind?
Should I use the Recording Out or the Slave Out?
What's the difference?
What do I bypass on the MKIV by going Recording Out (only he Presence controls I believe) or the Slave Out?

I'm just a bit confused. I've used the Recording out but the signal level is not very hot and with some noise (it peaks at -15/-10) AND I have both the recording out and the output level at 10! I'm afraid I'll go deaf if I accidentally push in the silent recording on the Output Level knob!! :(

I haven't really tried the Slave Out.. but I guess that'll be next.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. As much as I'd like to mic the amp, is just not practical within my set up.

Thanks!!!

Hey man, dunno about your mark IV but i tried recording my studio 22+, direct. First i used the direct out and didn't quite like how it sounded, also, too silent (if the master is on 0).. but then i pulled a cable from fx-send (preamp) and plugged it directly into my soundcard. I needed to lower the input level on my soundcard, cause it was too loud, started clipping. All this was with the master on 0, no sound coming from the speaker (the studio 22 doesn't have a speaker mute switch). I then added a VST cabinet simulator in cubase, you can hear what i got here:

Studio 22+ demo
Imperial march

edit: the server is currently down, check in a few hours :roll:

Make sure you have a speaker load when your doing this. (speaker attached to the amp) You will find the best tone is with a mic. :?

Yeeeechhhh slave out to the board (or recording device)... buzz saw city. Never was my cup of tea.

Definitely use a dummy load for the speakers.

Harry Kolbe once built a "silent cabinet" which was basically a speaker enlcosed with a mic (SM57) wrapped with acoustic insulation. Just wonder if there's anything out there that's similiar.

A few people have figured out how to get a good sound recording direct, and I'm always impressed when they pull it off. I'm just not that ambitious, so I use the old microphone.

I like the extra sustain from having the guitar in the same room as the amp, so I usually mic the amp right in the control room instead of hiding it in the vocal booth. This also allows for the occasional induced feedback effect.

I just got a Senheiser e906, which is designed specifically to be used on guitar cabinets, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll experiment with a Rode NT2-A a few feet away as a secondary mic.

Everyone has different needs and styles, so you just have to go with what works best for your situation.

Latest posts

Back