rattling noise as note dies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwater

Reaction score
i have a boogie mk 4 and it has just developed a electronic rattling noise coming out of the speakers as the note fades.has any body had a problem similar. i have tried diiferent speakers but its still the same mostly at high volumes on all chanels. i have tried the valves and they are ok any help would be appreciated.

thanks
paul

If you're using noise gates turn them off and see if it goes away. I have noticed noise gates doing this in the past, as they activate they seem to throw some artifact. Most noticeable under high gain settings.

no noise gates just a straight amp with no effects it just seems like a electronic rattling thanks for the reply tho :)

HI - would it be possible to post a sound clip ?

May be a similar issue to the one I've just logged

good luck - lets work together on a solution.

thanks

Ed

Sounds like the power tubes guts are rattling at high volume.
What happens is your tube guts are too loose in the bottle and the cabinet vibration can cause them to bounce around in the bottle and since it's the amplification section, it amplifies this slight buzz or rattle noise. with Boogie's it's more prevalent in heads and non Sus mount combo's.

You are right BoogieBabies.
I had the same problem yesterday. I started to tap gently with a pick the tubes until I found the one that was rattling.
I took it off and replaced it. No more rattling.
Regards

tried different power tubes but its still the same its like a crackling noise just on certain notes. it started just on the (a )note but now its (g )as well
it seems as tho it could be some sort of loose connection but i am only guessing :) ed sorry dont how to upload a mp3 file :)

Hi - have sent an e-mail with my mobile number - look forward to hearing from you - will call you back to save your costs - thanks !

Ed

igfraso said:
You are right BoogieBabies.
I had the same problem yesterday. I started to tap gently with a pick the tubes until I found the one that was rattling.
I took it off and replaced it. No more rattling.
Regards

I wanted to say: I took it off and put it back in place again. No more rattling.

i have tried all the preamp tubes and they are ok at first i thought it was a speaker fault but i replaced it with a ev. i have took it to the repair shop and he got the crackling noise as soon as he picked it up to put it on the bench and at first thought it was the power connector but now he thinks it could be a fault with the transformer next to it so he is going to look at it tmorrow so i will report the outcome, thanks every body for the advice.

paul

overwater said:
i have tried all the preamp tubes and they are ok at first i thought it was a speaker fault but i replaced it with a ev. i have took it to the repair shop and he got the crackling noise as soon as he picked it up to put it on the bench and at first thought it was the power connector but now he thinks it could be a fault with the transformer next to it so he is going to look at it tmorrow so i will report the outcome, thanks every body for the advice.

paul

What? Is this guy an amp whisperer.

just got the amp back from the repair shop and the tech said there was
alot off loose solder joints on the circuit board under the transformer
he reckons its led free solder and its not as good as the other with led in.
anyway just tried it with the new ev speaker and it sounds better than ever :D

boogiebabies, what do you think is the best configuration for this,
i have a ev speaker a celestion neo and a 2 x12 closed back cabinet
and the boogie combo mk 4
what speakers do you think should go in what and what would be agood
third speaker to use with the other 2
hope you can understand that ,i have just read it back and confused myself :)

Hi Overwater - its great to hear that your problems are over !

I dropped my MKIII round to the reapair guy earlier today and he listened to my slightly gritty/flubby distortion sounds and said "thats normal when you just have such a tiny amount of distortion". However, on protest from me :roll: he's going to give it a thorough check over and report back. I told him to look out for dry joints and the other areas that Boogiebabes has suggested. Will let you know how I get on....keep those fingers crosse !

Ed

Latest posts

Back