Rate my Roadking II tone!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
Hey guys here is a scratch track, recorded with a sm-57 into a presonus firepod, into sonar 6. check it out and tell me what you think. Here it is

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=nathaneboggess%40gmail.com

Very nice. The heavy parts sound big and heavy with an openness to it. The wah part sounded awesome. The cleans don't sound as good, I'm thinking it's the EMG's. Curious, what was the mic placement?

You are one of few recto owners that can dial-in a recto...
Thanks for sharing.

yeah, i agree, i played the whole song in one cut, and i didnt switch to my neck pickup for the cleans, so the cleans are on a emg-81 bridge, rather than my emg-60 in the neck, the 81 is awesome on the high gain sounds, but just ok sounding for cleans. The 60 does give the cleans a big boost in tone compared to the 81. I placed the mic just to the side of the center of the cone.

nice job on the tones.....how do you like using sonar?

thanks for the feedback guys, I like using sonar, i like everything about it but one thing, it seems like i have a hell of a time with the latency settings and stopping the dropouts when i run 6-8 tracks at once, then i will find the right settings it will work for a while then the next time i load it up it starts dropping out again, other than that it is top notch and the effects are great. The weird thing about recording the high gain guitar is that it seems if i back down the gain from where i normally play with it, it sounds more articulate and just overall better. Its kind of weird, the tone on the recording to me is exactly what my amp sounds like in the room.

Nice slab of rock there bro! That's what Road King heavy rhythm tones always make me think of... big wall of granite... to me they're 'thicker' than DR/TRs somehow.

I'd like to hear the vocals in there.

I see what MetalMatt says about the cleans, and yeah, that totally sounds like a bridge pup thing.

I use Sonar as well. Not sure what kind of machine you're running it on, but turn off your wireless, turn off the virus scanner, quit Steam :), etc. before starting Sonar. Every little bit of CPU, memory, or disk swap helps.

At some point recently a Steam update stopped playing nice with my M-Audio device and I have to exit it before I start Sonar, or I'm stuck with 44.1Kbps sampling.

It's good but to my tastes it needs more mids and treble (presence).
I can notice when you did some phrases, it doesn't have definition,almost muddy. :wink:

Kind-of what i was thinkin: it's a nice big gain recto sound, but probably just because of mic placement doesn't have that extra little punch.

The setting i struggle with getting right is the presence setting, i like it somewhat high when im alittle bit beside my amp, i like it lower when im right in front of my amp. I keep my mids at 10 oclock.

if you are recording,it doesn't matter if you like this or that way,what matters is how it sounds recorded.
:wink:

The wah i used was a zakk wylde dunlop crybaby, i have used at least 5 different wahs trying to find the right one for my tastes, and i love the wylde wah. Im going to do some clean recordings here soon, i wish i would have switched to my neck pickup when i did this, but it was a high gain test.

you tone is awsome man, great set-up, if you don't mind, i have a roadster and was wondering what is your "Heavy" distorsion settings?
i'd like to give them a try.

thanx

This is my exact setup and settings for this recording;

Roadking II - Boogie 4x12 vintage 30 cab

My Explorer pro emg-81/85(i only used the 81 for the recording)

I plug in to my fender floor tuner into zakk wylde wah then into a rocktron
nitro clean boost pedal then to the amp.

Settings are on channel 4

modern, bold, silicone diode
2x6l6, 2xel34.
reverb 4oclock
effects loops are bypassed

master: 3:30 oclock
gain: 1:30
treble: 1oclock
bass: 1oclock
mid: 10oclock
presence: 11-noon
----------------------------my settings on my clean boost pedal are at 3-4oclock.

Back