Randy Rhoads + Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippingrudy

Reaction score
I was just listening to Diary of a Madman. I couldn't help but notice that his tone sounds EXACTLY like the Mark III green stripe I used to own.

Am I crazy? LOL

I don't think so. I get a similar tone when I dial in my Mark IV to play Ozzy stuff.

I think the most overlooked part of Randy's tone was the Altec speakers he used.

I have one and no matter what I play through it, I get the Randy vibe. It's not really my favorite speaker but I am a Randy Fan.

I had an Altec 417-8H in a Boog a while back and although I loved the clean sound of it the Metal Dome drove me insane when using lead distortion sounds. Same thing with the JBL E-120, outrageous for clean and Jazz tones but no go on Lead overdrive. I knew some guys at a sound Co. who were taking the metal dome off and replaceing it with a standard paper dome and presto a super good sounding speaker. But after discovering the EVM 12-L there's been no looking back for a great sounding speaker that would cover any style and remain true to what ever type amp or sound you pump into it!

Back