RA100 vs Mark v vs Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RA100 (revisited) A slight bit of a task to change tubes in this amp due to the 2 boards on the back that have to be removed but that is it. Access to all of the preamp tubes are right there (removal of two power tubes for better access). Yes, this amp sound the best with EL34's (especially when using the power soak feature, better power tube saturation, also the gain structure of the clean channel is a joy to push or keep low for a liquid blues). Now for something completely different, Swap the set of EL34 for some 6L6GC and turn this amp into a Marshall killer :shock: Since I bought a complete set of spare tubes for the Roadster, I put the new one's in, and was going to use the stock tubes as back up. (since I put the preamp tubes in the Mark V, why not try the power tubes in the RA100). Holy crap this amp rocks. Power soak was not as effective though, it did reduce the volume but did not get the tube saturation characteristic as I did with the EL34 since they go into clip much earlier. 6L6 will also effect the clean channel too, more headroom and with the gain set high will not clip as hard. Still not bad. Just thought I would pass this on to feed the need..... Regardless of what power tube used in the RA100, still can beat the V30 speaker for character and tone from this amp. It will sound thin through EV or similar or take on a boomy tone.

Roadster is easy to gain access to the tubes. One hides behind the OT but not too hard to reach regarding the head. I am sure there are an array of different speakers that sound great, for me it is EV. V30 not bad either.

Mark V, not easy access to preamp tubes. Similar to the Roadster, one hides behind the OT, Very tight space due to the reverb tank and smaller shell compared to the full size heads. In combo form, you can just about reach everything and almost do not even need to pull power tubes but easier if you do. EV speakers I feel sound best. V30 is okay, many like the V30, I thought they were terrible (reason I swapped the V30 in my cab to EV, but held on to them just in case, did not expect to actually crave them but I do with the RA100. The only amp I have that does well with both V30 and or EV is the Mark IV, reason for getting the 412 cab in the first place).

Basically all of this is all subjective. All that matters is how you feel with the amp once you get it.
So far, I only have two amps I can really get lost with, almost in a time warp if that were the case. In other words, I am spending more time playing the guitar than trying to make the amp sound the way I like it too. Both are Class A/B power amps. RA100 and the Roadster. I know I voted for Mark V. Still a good amp if you so desire it.

gabsonuro said:
bandit2013 said:
let's not forget the configurable power supply of the Roadster. You have two choices per each channel, silicon diode or tube rectifier tracking which is available in all power modes 50W and 100W. I am loving the tube rectifier tracking with 100W. The Mark V on the other hand only offers tube rectifier tracking for all channels in 10W mode, CH1 and CH2 at 45W only. I was unsure I was going to like it since I was not what I expected in the Mark V. Talk about some interesting harmonic content when used with the high gain channels. The Roadster is the tweaker's dream amp, then you have the Road King that takes it much farther with different power tube selections and cabinet switching, which would be the ultimate tweaker's dreamp amp. It is a tough call really. There is so much to explore on the Roadster alone, a few minutes with the amp may not be enough to really appreciate its potential. Both Roadster has one feature different from the rest (selectable FX loop ), The Roadster and Mark V can enable or disable the FX loop via the foot switch controller. The RA100, once you plug something into the loop, it will be there regardless. If the effect pedal or processor does not have a true hard bypass, the only way to take it out of the signal chain would be to unplug it. Reverb is adjustable for each channel on the Roadster and Mark V, RA100 uses a single pot to control reverb effect, there is a bypass switch if you need to pull it from the Hi and Lo channels, Hi channel or completely bypassed. RA100 may seem to have limited features, but it is all in how it sounds that matters and will it achieve what you want from it?

The problem is i know i want the rectifier sound - the liquid rhythm distortion, but i don't want the volume associated with the roadster. I tried one in the store and its f******king loud, like really loud. I tried a mark V combo in the store and it was nowhere near as loud, but the tone didn't really blow me away- it sounded good, but nothing amazing. I hope that is just the case with the combo and not the stack. The mark V also seems like a nightmare to fix with all these knobs and PCB's inside the amp.

The Roadster does not have to be loud. With the FX engaged, I can lower the Channel Masters and Master Output to well below late night practice volumes. I'm not saying thats any way to live, but the point is the Roadster can be played quietly when needed. I should mention I have the 2x12 combo, not a half stack, but the same principles apply. :wink:

[/quote]The Roadster does not have to be loud. With the FX engaged, I can lower the Channel Masters and Master Output to well below late night practice volumes. I'm not saying thats any way to live, but the point is the Roadster can be played quietly when needed. I should mention I have the 2x12 combo, not a half stack, but the same principles apply. :wink:[/quote]

+1

I've run mine lower than you can imagine and it sounds incredible (in fact I use it 8/10 times on bedroom levels)... Yeah yeah, it's not the same but come on man... it's a 100w tube head!

I can't recommend the Roadster enough :twisted:

Alan.

I am driving a half stack, however, I would agree with both Given to Fly and blackoutshred.
Great sound is achievable at reduced volume settings even with the power section configured for 100W on each channel. I would not let your first experience with the amp hold you back on considering the Roadster.

Back