Quick Mark IV question, need an answer hurry!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should try and reconfigure the cab wiring to get either 4 or 8 ohms, but if not you could run it in the 8 ohm out so long as you're not balls to the wall with the volume

I was wondering about impedance mis-matches also. Can you run a 4ohm cab out of the 8ohm jack on your head?

i did this once

i ran my 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm in on a marshall cab

it worked
but it sounded really thin and shitty

heres the tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foq9kODSZTs
(ps, i am miming)

druckpig said:
if you run a 16 ohm cab out of the 8 ohm tap your tubes will wear out quicker and it will give you a different tone but the mismatch isnt going to kill it

Are you sure about that? The manual says when using 6V6s:

"to reduce tube wear when using 6V6's, the 8ohm speaker should be plugged into the 4ohm jack."

So it seems like tubes will last longer using a 16ohm cab with the 8ohm jack.

boola said:
druckpig said:
if you run a 16 ohm cab out of the 8 ohm tap your tubes will wear out quicker and it will give you a different tone but the mismatch isnt going to kill it

Are you sure about that? The manual says when using 6V6s:

"to reduce tube wear when using 6V6's, the 8ohm speaker should be plugged into the 4ohm jack."

So it seems like tubes will last longer using a 16ohm cab with the 8ohm jack.
Yes, you are correct. The tubes will expire quicker if you run into a lower ohm cab (e.g., an 4 ohm cabinet from the 8 ohm tap).

I have a marshall cab that I converted from 16 ohms to 4 ohms, and use that with my boogie. I'll tell you how step by step, real easy. No need for a mismatch. You can do it in 15 minutes. You can even change it back, so you're not stuck with it.

eet fuk said:
I have a marshall cab that I converted from 16 ohms to 4 ohms, and use that with my boogie. I'll tell you how step by step, real easy. No need for a mismatch. You can do it in 15 minutes. You can even change it back, so you're not stuck with it.

Thanks guys,

It was just because I was on my way to a gig, and the bloke I was borrowing a cab from had a Marshall!

Back