Questions that need to be answered before I buy a DC-2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering buying a DC-2 for that is listed on craigslist for $400; I was hoping any other DC owners could help me out with a few things. First, when were these amps made? I have had most people tell me they were made in the late 90's, but the DC forum is in the before '91 section. These were the predecessors of the F series, right? I guess I will find out when I play it, but how is the reverb? I have heard that Mesa's reverb isn't the best in the world. Most importantly, at what volume does the clean channel start to breakup? I don't like too much clean headroom. Oh, is $400 a reasonable price for one of these in what seems to be excellent cosmetic and working condition? I just saw one on eBay go for about $600, so It seems like a great price. I realize I have asked quite a few questions, but if someone could answer a few, it would be greatly appreciated.

The DC amps were the predecessors to the F-series amps. I have owned both, and I prefer the DC series as they sound a bit more "vintage" or Mark-like to my ears while the F-series amps sound more modern. The DC amps came out in 1990 (Mesa Boogie Catalog, page 9) and I think the last year of production was 97 or 98. As far as reverb goes, it doesn't sound anything like my 74 Deluxe Reverb, but I still like it. Actually, I prefer the reverb on my DC-2 to the reverb on my Mark IV. I personally don't have a problem with Mesa's reverb, but you will get many different opinions on this subject.

The clean channel will break up early if you have humbuckers. When I had my Les Pauls it seemed to start breaking up around 3 or 4. However, I now use a vintage Gretsch with DeArmond single coils (like P-90's) and breakup occurs much later. Breakup will depend on what guitar and pickups you are using. Four hundered dollars sounds like a reasonable price to me if the amp has not been abused and kicked around. For comparison, mine is dead mint and it came with a matching Thiele cab that was also mint. I paid just over $700 for both about two years ago. It's a great amp, and don't be fooled by the 20 watt rating, it's VERY loud.

Thank you so much for the help. I was thinking about getting a cab for it, too. Probably a couple twelves. Then when I can afford it, I will replace the DC with a Mark V.

Hey, Mick. I noticed you have a '91 SG. What color is yours? I have a candy apple red. I just got one and couldn't be happier with it.

I have owned many-a-mesa and got a DC-3 about a month ago. It sounds awesome with my Ernie Ball Petrucci!! I think they were made for each other! Haha. Great, great amps - very underrated and probably the best bang for your buck Mesa out there!

Latest posts

Back