Questions re: slaving amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Today, I tried to slave a Mark IV into a Mark I. I thought this would be straight forward: effects send of IV into return of I.

Didn't work.

In fact I tried many possible options on the IV's end (Direct out, slave out, effect loop out) and all three possible locations on the I (input 1, 2, effects return).

I was able to get very faint sound out of the I but it wasn't anything like I expected. Dimed it was about as loud as the electric guitar itself.

I was kinda dissappointed. I was hoping it would work as this would give me a good way to get a stereo setup (or a wet/dry or what have you).

Does anyone have more experience regarding this?

Doesn't the Mark IV have a slave out? If it does I'd send that into the Mark I.

Other than that I can't really help you. I'm assuming you tweeked the master volume on the MkI?

try this...I tried slaving once but messed up kind of like you did. However, the info I have below should be correct:

Mark4 Slave Out>regular cable>Mark1 return

Put all the knobs on everything down on both amps, including the volume knobs, the efx knobs, and the slave knobs.

Slowly bring up the Slave level on the Mark4 and the Volume knob on the Mark1. If the Mark1 has a Return knob, mess a little with that also.

The only things on the Mark1 that will work are the volume and presence knobs. On the Mark4, you will control the bass, mids, etc.

Two important notes:
-Be sure to connect a load to BOTH amps (be it a speaker or dummy box)
-Keep the volume knobs on the Mark4 down to 0 at first, and bring them up slowly after you have set the other knobs detailed above.

Let us know how it goes!

I slaved out of my MKIV into my Stiletto Ace. I ran the g-major into the left and right effects inputs of the IV and then used the slave out of the IV to the effects return on the Ace. Sounds so full and sweet. I get the use of the stereo effects of the g-major as well as two different sounding power-amps. I set the slave output on the IV at '5'

Hope this helps.

I currently run a W/D/W setup with my Mark IV as the center dry amp and the slave out of the Mk IV feeds my efx which then feed the input's of a Boogie 50/50 power amp for the stereo wets. It works flawlessly.

Make sure the master volume on the mark I is up. It and the presence are the only things after the effects loop return that will affect the mark I on the mark I side of things. The volumes, other tone controls and reverb will not do anything. To make sure that the effects loop is putting something out on the mark IV side of things jumper between the send and return on the mark IV itself. If nothing comes out of the mark IV there is something up with the effects loop. Do the same thing with the mark I.

Gary

I Just talked to Mike Benadelli about same thing, I have an original mark I and a mark IVb - I want to put my delay in the mark IV loop and use both amps for the stereo return. Mike told me that on the original mark I the send/return is not an effects loop, it is the preamp - poweramp junction point, and you will see 4-5 volts coming out of the preamp into the power amp there.
He said the way to do this is to run the mark IV satellite send into the channel 2 input of the mark I set clean.

I had a feeling it might be something like that.

Now, did Mike B. say this applies for all Mark Is (originals and reissues) or just originals?

He said this applies to the original mark I, we didnt discuss the reissues.
The reissues have an fx loop and a slave out unlike the original, so it does looks like they changed something there but I have no idea what.
Mike also said he can do a mod to the original mark I to add an effects loop, he adds a tube stage and it doesnt change the sound of the amp.
You might want to give him a call, he is extremely helpfull.

t0aj15 said:
I currently run a W/D/W setup with my Mark IV as the center dry amp and the slave out of the Mk IV feeds my efx which then feed the input's of a Boogie 50/50 power amp for the stereo wets. It works flawlessly.

ive used to do that with my MkIII, yes, i agree with you, it's just FANTASTIC sounding 8) :D

I am confused here. Is the Mark I original or reissue. I looked at the schematics for both and didn't see an effects loop for the original and did for the reissue so I assumed you had a reissue. If there is a pseudo return/send on the original that is just the junction of the preamp/power amp that would be a problem.

Gary

I was dealing with brand-new versions of both amps. I haven't had a chance to make a second attempt, but I'll certainly let everyone know what happens.

Latest posts

Back