Questions on the Roadster & Rectifiers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wired

Reaction score
What's up guys, this is my 1st post. I'm looking to try a Roadster 2x12 combo, but I'm wondering if someone can give me some quick info on what the difference is w/ rectifier amps.

I've been playing a Peavey 5150 for the last 15 years, but I'm looking for more versatility, a good clean channel & the 50/100 watt flexibility sounds like it would work well for smaller clubs. But, I also want to be able to have a strong lead channel w/ enough sustain.

Seeing that both amps use 12ax7's in the preamp & 6L6's in the output section, what do the rectifier tubes do for your tone?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

wired said:
Seeing that both amps use 12ax7's in the preamp & 6L6's in the output section, what do the rectifier tubes do for your tone?

I think what most people would say is that the silicon diodes make the amp more responsive to percussive attacks (i.e. more punchy when chugging away) while the rectifier tubes will make it more "saggy" or "loose".

I am sure you get the idea of the amp being more punchy but when it comes descriptions like "saggy" or "loose", that is a difficult one to describe.

I think the best thing is to go try one and spend some considerable amount of time with it. I would also suggest trying different cabs since that can affect the response of the amp.

Good luck.

Z

I'd say the Roadster is for you. I had a 5150 for 5 years before going with a Rectoverb. I then traded the ROV in on a Dual Rectifier. The 5150 is a great amp but I definitely think the Roadsters are more bang for the buck.

Vaccum tubes in vintage give you that nice warm distortion great for classic rock stuff or high gain. The cleans are great as well.

The 50/100 is nice but the only thing I think you'll really notice is during cranked toned and less bass response at 50 watts. 100w just gives you more head room, doesn't make the amp twice as loud. Either way is plenty loud trust me.

I haven't played the combo, but I'll tell you a head and used 2x12 rectifier cab sound huge and it's about the same as the combo price wise if you take your time and look.

Thanks for the replies. I have to find one of these to try out. None of the Guitar Centers in my area have these in stock, though.

I've never seen a tube amp w/ so many options/features: the solo boost function, the option of turning the fx loop on/off by channel, separate reverb by channel, tuner out. This thing looks incredible.

wired said:
Thanks for the replies. I have to find one of these to try out. None of the Guitar Centers in my area have these in stock, though.

I've never seen a tube amp w/ so many options/features: the solo boost function, the option of turning the fx loop on/off by channel, separate reverb by channel, tuner out. This thing looks incredible.

yeah welcome to mesa..... they're a whole different beast than say marshalls or peaveys... a lot of options and flexibility which for some is a burden but for people like me its a blessing..... as for what your looking for..... i'd say if your not going to do a lot of chugging or really high gain stuff you might want to consider a Mark IV or a DC-10...... if you dont like tweaking maybe the DC-10...... the only reason i'd suggest those before a recto is because of their leads..... if your looking for warm, creamy leads with lots of sustain and a bunch of gain to tap into those two will do the trick..... the roadster is great for rhythm and covers a lot of ground but to my ears the dc and mark series take the prize for leads..... all depends what your looking for..... i'm a rhythm player so i think the roadster fits my needs quite well especially since i use all 4 channels to the fullest..... for leads though grab yourself a mark iv which you can find used around the 1000-1200 range or a dc-10 in the 600-900 range

Latest posts

Back