Questions on my DC-2 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis B.

Reaction score
Hi guys - Denny from BlueFrets here. Just go a DC-2 and love it. I can use it the way it is but I love to tweak. I'm changing out the OT for a MM and considering changing the speaker. The amp seem a bit dark at lower volume levels and I have to turn up the presence and treble pretty high. It's ok at louder volumes though. Are there any mods that can open up the sound a bit - it seems a bit constricted. Have any of you changed out the OT to a MM? Did it help? What about speakers? I read something about lifting some resistor that deals with the Output Level pot but forget where I read it. Any help and suggestions are appreciated. Not to worry about high voltage stuff - I've built a few amps and am still alive LOL.

Thanks for all your help

Oh yea - forgot - I'm looking for the aluminum tube guard that goes across the back if anyone has one they want to sell.

D.www,bluefrets.com

Hey Denny,

Here are the mods: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33293
Most of them should work for the DC-2 as well.

The aluminum piece that goes across the back of the amp is easily replaced. I usually buy a piece of 1" or 3/4" aluminum 'C' channel from Home Depot or Lowes.

As for the Transformer, I really like these ones: http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php#transformers
TO22 or TO26
They are much cheaper than MM's and sound incredible! I've used them in at least 10 amps so far with 0 failures or complaints.

excellent - thanks. And you really think the Allen OT's are better then the MM's? Did the replacement make a huge noticeable difference? also - mine has the contour option - is there anything that can be done to make the "non-contour" tone better - to me it's useless.

I'm not sure I would say that they are better. They are pretty high quality and I really like the tone of them.
I'm still on the fence as to whether or not the MM's are worth the extra money. I love what they did for the DC-5 I used them in. I have a set sitting on my work bench, just waiting for another amp to go in, but so far, money has been way too tight for that.

As for better distortion tones, I would definitely say that you could easily benefit as much from a speaker change as you could from transformer upgrades. I did not like the Vintage 50 at all. I can't remember what I put in mine, most likely a Mojotone BV25M or BV30H.

You can also experiment with different preamp and power tubes. The DC's are very easy to modify just by changing tubes.

Back