Questions for Stiletto users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzgod

Reaction score
Cheers,

Owning both a MkV and Stiletto poses a problem for me. I'm not really the kind of person to keep things around that I'm not using and, sadly, that is what has happened to the Stiletto since the MkV came around.

I love the tones I can get out of an LP and the Stiletto, but I've come really close to getting those out of the MkV. I've really been neglecting the Stiletto and so my question is:

- How much closer could I get to a Stiletto sound if I ran EL34s in the MkV (this is what the Stiletto runs). I know that I should grab a pair and try it out for myself, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I wonder if I will miss the Stiletto...but I anticipate that the MkV will almost nail the same tones (like I said I've gotten close already).

So I can keep them both and not use the Stiletto much (which seems like a waste) or move on and try out some EL34s.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Thanks

I have Deuce and I find it very hard to walk away from . I too just acquired a Mark V . I have to experiment further !

i had a stiletto for a very short period of time.. i had no trouble selling it :lol:

great amp... definitely needs an EQ in the loop, if you're playing it at a gigging volume (for my tastes!)

i prefer the MKV by loads.. but its still a killer amp, and some folks probably like it better than the MKV

Yeah, I loved it too when first got it...it was the most instant satisfaction I've ever had with an amp.

I'm thinking of unleashing the MkV by running it through a 412 (I've the 112 combo) and the Stiletto would almost definitely not get played then.

Any other opinions on overlapping sounds between the two?

i think you can cover most of the stiletto tones on ch2, with the master up high

if i had the combo, i'd probably get the matching extension cab for it

fuzzgod said:
Well I was thinking about the Road King 412...I'm intrigued by the mix of open back C90s and closed V30s

Never tried! I'd be interested too, other than the weight!

I picked up a stiletto 212 and it sounds sick with mark.. The stiletto 412 would PWN!

What's the difference between the Stiletto cabs and the Recto cabs? Is it just the physical size, because don't both have V30s?

fuzzgod said:
What's the difference between the Stiletto cabs and the Recto cabs? Is it just the physical size, because don't both have V30s?

the recto sounds a bit scooped, bigger bottom end, but not as tight.. the stiletto has more of a midrange voice, with gentle highs

fuzzgod said:
Cheers,

Owning both a MkV and Stiletto poses a problem for me. I'm not really the kind of person to keep things around that I'm not using and, sadly, that is what has happened to the Stiletto since the MkV came around.

I love the tones I can get out of an LP and the Stiletto, but I've come really close to getting those out of the MkV. I've really been neglecting the Stiletto and so my question is:

- How much closer could I get to a Stiletto sound if I ran EL34s in the MkV (this is what the Stiletto runs). I know that I should grab a pair and try it out for myself, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I wonder if I will miss the Stiletto...but I anticipate that the MkV will almost nail the same tones (like I said I've gotten close already).

So I can keep them both and not use the Stiletto much (which seems like a waste) or move on and try out some EL34s.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Thanks

is there anything saying you can run both? is it a matter of hefting it? as a mostly-bedroom player, i'd run them in parallel, occasionally mixing and matching pre and power sections at whim. for sure the main difference in the power section (besides tube type) is the simuclass v vs. the regular ab of the stiletto. i would like to see if anyone's tried running the stiletto pre into a simul power amp.

but anyway, it's funny you talk about getting rid of the stiletto cause i've been considering one for a more alt/punk sort of possibility in the future. i'd be interested to see if they'll release a stiletto preamp or something. i suppose it's achievable already with the recto pre or road king?

Latest posts

Back