Questions about new Mark IV Widebody

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up my Mark IV Widebody at the weekend. Sounds amazing ! I've got some questions though :

The sticker on the back of the speaker seems to have come off so I can't identify what the speaker is. Assuming that it's the original speaker what's it likely to be ?

How can I tell how old the amp is ?

What's the best speaker to put in an extension cab for this amp ? (I've got an empty cabinet ready.)

Thanks,
Steve

whell, if its the original speaker its a Celestion C-90. If you are looking to find out ur amp's age, call mesa and read off your serial number to them. U also asked about what would be the best speaker to put in an ext. cab. My answer to that is, What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of music are you into? Here are the three most popularly used speakers with the mark iv.

C-90 (original hardware) - More a plexi brown sound. Looser bottom end, great for blues, jazz, mild rock....

EVM-12L (Mk-IVa original hardware) - Doesn't color the sound at all. More hi-fi sounding, but also the most hard hitting, clearest, sharpest speaker.

V30 - I only have a little bit of playing time on these, but from what I can tell, they are somewhere in between the c90 and the EVM. It sounds great with high gain distortion. Its not as loose as the C90, but not as tight as the EVM. Also, the top end is more round than the EVM

I have a mark iv widebody and I personally run the EVM. I play a mixture of punk/ska , rockabilly, and blues. This speaker cuts. It will stand out when you are playing with your band. Also, I believe that this is the speaker that was a perfect match for the mark iv. The only reason i think that they switched over to the c90's is because of financial reasons. Just make sure you buy the speaker that fits your style. Also remember, there are a lot more speakers out there that can go in the mark iv, i just showcased the most popularly used ones. Hope this helps u. Good luck!

Wow, thanks for that detailed reply atlst7. Very interesting.

I guess if I'm looking for a speaker for the extension cab I'd be best to get one to match what's in the Mark IV, otherwise I'd be mixing two different tones and the results might be a bit unpredictable...

blameitontheboogie said:
Wow, thanks for that detailed reply atlst7. Very interesting.

I guess if I'm looking for a speaker for the extension cab I'd be best to get one to match what's in the Mark IV, otherwise I'd be mixing two different tones and the results might be a bit unpredictable...
...it may also be more desireable. Many here have said a C-90 in a combo and a EVM12-L in an extension cabinet provide a broader sound palette, the best of both worlds so to speak. I prefer the 12-L over the C-90 as it suits my style better.

blameitontheboogie said:
How can I tell how old the amp is ?

Mesa usually writes the date of manufacture on the underside of the amp chassis in the area of the preamp tubes.

Latest posts

Back