Questions about my Nomad 45

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjl5150

Reaction score
I bought a nomad 45 yesterday and was really excited about it. But after getting it home, it seems to be kind of "splatty" sounding. The low end is undefined and really lacks girth. I don't know if that makes any sense.
I am playing an Ibanez RG520 and a Godin Detour. I have the gain at 10-1 o'clock, presence at 9 o'clock, treble at 1 o'clock, mids at 10 o'clock, and bass at 2 o'clock. I have read the manual and tried a bunch of different settings and can't seem to find a sound that I really like. It sounds decent, but not great. I wonder if it's the nature of the Nomad, the el84's, or what?
I had a Rectoverb a year ago and sold it when I had some financial troubles.

I have a Nomad 45 112 combo and have had it since new. The cleans on channel one are really nice. I also use channel 2 alot also. Not much use for channel 3.

Is the amp a combo or a head? Speakers?

How old are the tubes? Sounds to me you need to re-tube the whole amp.

I Use JJ EL-84's for power tubes and they have worked out great.

V1 Tung-Sol re-issue.12AX7
V2 JJ 12AX7
V3 Tung-Sol 12AX7 re-issue
V4 Chinese 12AX7
V5 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 matched and balanced.

Just wondering if you tried the amp before you bought it. I know ts really hard to try an amp in a store. I need to crank em up at home to really appeciate them.

Replacing all the tubes is the best place to start.
Sometimes weak filter caps can cause tone problems.
The filter caps need to be of good quality because the caps
need to continually deliver the power the tubes demand and not wash-out tonally.

Use Spraque or Tech Cap or any other quality American-made capacitor.

just an idea...

Tubegear Junkie

Latest posts

Back