Question: Should I mod my Mkii c

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I have a 1984ish Mkii c; I'm the original owner (even still have the one page of settings and the two page manual)

-Serial number 12275 (which I believe makes it NOT a '+' series)
-Features
--60/100
--Reverb
--EQ
--Celestion Blackshadow (just put it in; Electrovoice 1x12 was the original)

I've always REALLY liked this amp but from what I read about people who have the Mkii c+ (serial number 125xx through 14xxx or so), especially simul-class is that they JUST LOVE their amps.

Questions (some that I should ask MESA):
-Does MESA offer the '+' mod anymore?
-Does MESA offer the simul-class mod anymore?
-What are the prices?

AND MOST IMPORTANT:

-Should I make these mods?

Thanks for your input.

-It has a black mark over the power cord but it's not clearly a '+'
-It has initials under the power cord; could be MB
-It has a Pull Deep on Master 1. Per this page [1] that would make it a IIC+
-I bought the amp sometime in 1984; ordered it from Boogie
-The settings page I got is dated 4/11/84

Seems like a IIC+ except for the serial number (12275)

[1]
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/IICPlus.html

If you like it "as is", the + mod might be a waste of money. Mesa still offers the + mod for $275 as of this time last year.

I sent a 2C to Mike B. for a check out and upgrade last year. But mine was an obvious C+ forgery, and sounded like crap.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GeoBull said:
Questions (some that I should ask MESA):
-Does MESA offer the '+' mod anymore?
-Does MESA offer the simul-class mod anymore?
-What are the prices?

AND MOST IMPORTANT:

-Should I make these mods?

Thanks for your input.

--yes. for less than $300 or so.
--yes, but not with the original transformer. You will have to use the current mark4 output transformer, which will create a difft. tone. Nobody that I know has tried it and told the results. this about another 200-400$
--yes, you should at LEAST get the + mod. I wouldn't recommend the Simul that much in light of what I said.

This is very helpful info. I'll call Boogie tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Anybody have any thoughts on whether my amp is actually a IIC+?

I just spent the evening out in the garage playing through my amp (1996 Parker Fly Deluxe is the guitar) and I have to say: I actually do LOVE my amp; it is a musical instrument. I've played a lot of jazz for the past 10 or 15 years so the Boogie has taken a back-burner to an Evans (really nice) but in the last 2 years more rock so more Boogie. I play with no effects (very occasional chorus) and the Boogie is maybe the only amp I've tried that consistently has a strong and distinct voice. As somebody said somewhere, if you're sloppy a Boogie will bring that out. Conversely, if you play well, the Boogie rewards you with tone, dynamics, and beauty.

Allrighty then....

It is possible that you have what I call a IICI. In the interim between the IIC and the C+ I have run across a few "Pull Deep" faceplates with an " I " over the power cord. The I, is half the plus. The two that I have seen have all the visible signs of being a C+, but the circuits we a stock C. This is not to say that you may possible have a +. Even just looking at a photo, it would be hard for someone to tell. The circuit board is the sama and the layout is so similar it's extremely deceptive. At first glace, most people would unknowingly agree that it's a +. With the IIC I there also some differences with the effects loop over the IIC. I would need a decent HQ photo, regarless of the loop test to confirm your amp. A photo of the side of the chassis will help as well.

Wow, more great info. A few questions for boogiebabies:

-Which is the chassis?
-Where can I find the manufactured date?
-I received the Settings page with a date of 4/11/84 in the bottom right. Does that mean anything?
-How do you feel about the + mod?
-If you were buying a new Boogie what would you buy? I'm particularly looking at a Mk IV vs. Roadster 1X12
-If you had this amp (mine) would you even bother thinking about a new amp?

Thanks to everybody for the great info

The Chassis is the box that holds the amp. You need to remove the 4 screws on the top, reverb cables and fan plug and it will slide out the back.
On the bottom of the chassis ( the tube side there will be a date in black marker) on the side it will tell us what options it should have and the picture of the circuit board will tell me if you have a C, I or +. I have a few amps, but I always find myself plugging in to the C+. Will you ever need another amp? Probably not, but it's a sickness.

The + mod is not really a mod. It basically puts the circuit to C+ specs.
The settings sheet was for a + and the owners manual was for a C. They never made a + owners manual so it's useless. Other than the MK IV, I would not bother with another new production Boogie. Maybe the Ace.

+1 to the above. I don't think anyone ever needs another amp besides the Mark2C+.

Unless you love your recto tones...but the C+ makes you forget about every other amp in existence when you play it.

Boogiebabies said:
...On the bottom of the chassis (the tube side there will be a date in black marker) on the side it will tell us what options it should have and the picture of the circuit board will tell me if you have a C, I or +...

...The + mod is not really a mod. It basically puts the circuit to C+ specs...

...Other than the MK IV, I would not bother with another new production Boogie. Maybe the Ace....

Wow, the helpful info keeps coming! Thanks! A few more (sorry :)

Can I see the date without removing the chassis? By e.g. taking my head (human one) off and shoving it upside down into the back of the amp with flashlight in teeth?

Could you describe in more detail what bringing the circuit to C+ specs does to/for the amp (and for me!)? Sounds like you recommend it assuming this isn't already a + correct?

MkIV 1x12 new: $1849; sound reasonable?

Also, even though this page [1] says this [2] and this [3] ([3] of which exactly matches my amp) it seems that the pull Deep is not a valid indicator of whether the amp is '+': If there was only one owners manual ever produced for the IIC series, and the manual on MESA's site (which I think matches the one I have) includes this sentence [4] (which is, interestingly, the last sentence in the second paragraph; a logical place if it was added downstream) then, obviously, if the one and only IIC manual covers the Pull Deep (although calling it a Gain boost pull switch) then all IIC's had this feature, contradicting the homepage.mac.com page.

Interesting stuff...hoping I'm not overstaying my welcome with all these questions :)

[1]
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/IICPlus.html

[2]
...the IIC+ (save for the first few or IIC's that had been modified to IIC+) had Pull Deep function with Master 1...

[3]
...IIC+ Tone Controls: The two input jacks on the front panel are marked Input" and "Foot Switch. The lead/rhythm footswitch plugs in and has a red LED to indicate function in the rhythm mode. The front panels read Volume 1, Treble, Bass, Middle, Master 1, Lead Drive and Lead Master. It has "Pull-Bright" on Volume 1, "Pull-Shift" on the Treble, "Pull-Deep" on the Master 1 and "Pull-Bright" on the Lead Master

[4]
...The Master 1 control (already set to 2) also incorporates the Gain Boost pull switch that can be used for adding extra bottom to the amp's tone as well as a slight increase in gain.

Hi !
I have a IIc (#1221x) with pull deep. It is a January 1984 production. No initials or +/I marks though. It is a 60/100 w/reverb and export transformer. No EQ.

I have not tried the loop test, but I am pretty convinced that it is a plain C. I also have a IIc+ (#1289x) with all options exept reverb, and an early IIc (#1141x) with all options. I like the ealiest one best actually. It is a bit noisy, but still the best sounding one.

I run most of my Boogies on Vintage JBL k-120 speakers. I think they are smoother than the EV12L, witch I find a little harsh sounding.

Stian
Norway

Boogiebabies said:
In order to verify it I need pictures of the guts , date code and pictures of the side of the chassis.

The difference between a IIC and + is that the IIC blows flubby chunks.

I'll try to get those pictures; thanks for all the help. I'll also talk to Mike B. next week; if it's not a +, I'll send it out for Mod.

I have a "IIC |", serial number 12***. The amp (150W Black Shadow speaker, reverb and export) was built on week 47 of 1983 and I am the original owner. It has the "Pull Deep" face plate as well.

I am glad to learn that there is at least one other IIC owner with a "|" mark on the power cord and a "Pull Deep" face plate. For years, I had been wondering why would someone write "I" above the power cord and 2 hearts below it. Of course, the one below the cord turned out to be Mike B's initials. :lol:

Love the tone of my amp, but I am also trying to decide on whether I should upgrade it to a IIC+, and possibly adding the EQ to it.

Much appreciated to BB for his help and info on my "|". It was amazing how much he was able to tell me about the amp just by looking at a few photos.

Boogiebabies said:
The difference between a IIC and + is that the IIC blows flubby chunks.

Please define flubby chunks... :lol:

Flubby chunks is a very loose bottom end that reminds me of bums vomiting on the streets on Manhattan. A repressed memory of my childhood. While standing outside Madison Square Garden as an 8 year old, a bum asked me if I had a dollar so he could buy some wine. After he asked his question, he turned and blew flubby chunks, wiped his mouth off with his sleeve and said. " So, do you". My father, being born and raised in Manhattan, politely rolled a .50 coin into traffic to get him away from us. He quickly followed the coin across the street stopping traffic. After watching the Greatest Show On Earth at MSG, we found him later curled up in a box passed out covered with more flubby chunks and an empty bottle of Boone's wine. Hence the term " Flubby Chunks". A loose, low frequency rumbling vomiting tone.

You asked !!! :D

Theres a better memory too. The time I found a bottle of liquid Rush on the Subway. I was 9.

Boogiebabies said:
Flubby chunks is a very loose bottom end that reminds me of bums vomiting on the streets on Manhattan. A repressed memory of my childhood. While standing outside Madison Square Garden as an 8 year old, a bum asked me if I had a dollar so he could buy some wine. After he asked his question, he turned and blew flubby chunks, wiped his mouth off with his sleeve and said. " So, do you". My father, being born and raised in Manhattan, politely rolled a .50 coin into traffic to get him away from us. He quickly followed the coin across the street stopping traffic. After watching the Greatest Show On Earth at MSG, we found him later curled up in a box passed out covered with more flubby chunks and an empty bottle of Boone's wine. Hence the term " Flubby Chunks". A loose, low frequency rumbling vomiting tone.

You asked !!! :D

Theres a better memory too. The time I found a bottle of liquid Rush on the Subway. I was 9.
I feel sorry for your childhood memory... :shock: :shock:

Now i have a new term for a mesa bad sound.. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back