Question re:Mark IIc+ and el34 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kobuk

Reaction score
I have owned my MarkIIc+ for over 20yrs and have always run 4 boogie 6l6's in the power tube slots but I've gotten curious about other tube options lately. I've searched this board for info on tubes and read many different types of tubes people like but no description of the difference in sound between brands. I'm especially interested in hearing about the difference between using all 6l6's and using 2 6l6's and 2 EL34's.

I don't play as much heavy music as I used to and I would like to get a warmer clean sound if at all possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've also been curious about other speakers (absolutely hated the 90 watt celestion I bought many years ago so I'm still using an EV) so I'm open to hearing what folks have to say in that arena as well.

thx

More crunch and less bottom with EL34s on the outside sockets. Obviously very noticable in the Class A setting. Cleans slightly suffer. Less "scoopy" mids. I like it, but I prefer straight 6L6s. BTW, I'm basing this on Mark IV, but you should get similar impressions.

Btw, make sure your IIC+ is simul-class before popping in the EL34s.

Latest posts

Back