Question on String Gauges and Set-Ups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiefufkin10

Reaction score
Typically I'm a bedroom guitarist but lately I've been jamming with people more and I feel like thicker strings makes my tone "beefier".

I want to just go from a 9 gauge to a 10 gauge on the following guitars:

Ibanez JS1000 - floating trem
Epiphone Les Paul - fixed bridge.

Is a new set up required to make this jump in gauge? I could see it being an issue with the Ibanez since thicker strings are going to impart a different tension across the neck/bridge, which will probably alter the action.

Yes, they will need to be set up again in order to be properly intonated and the action to be comfortable. Also, the tremolo springs will probably cause the trem to warble so you'll have to adjust the two screws holding the springs to level out the bridge for the new string tension.

-AJH

You may have to add an extra spring to the trem as well. Some guitars don't need to be reintonated for a change from 9-10's and some do. Before switching to 10's you may want to try raising your action, that also helps thicken up the sound.

Try them on your axe first.... before changing anything.... it may not need any changing and if you don't like the feel you can easily go back to the .009's ;)

You will probably need to tighten the truss rod slightly, especially on a slim neck like the Ibanez.

yeah you HAVE to do a new set up. you don´t need an extra spring. I have 3 springs for my 010-052 strings. but you must do a new setup!!!!

Back