Question on Mesa amplifiers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natek

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a Music Man Petrucci........couldn't be any happier. The sound I'm searching for is the smoothest/creamiest leads (petrucci like) possible with a very nice tight low end. Also, a classic rock sound would be a definate plus......as well as a nice clean channel that compliments the piezo pickups at least somewhat. My question was which type of mesa amp should I be really looking towards? Size definately isn't an issue as I won't be using live. I can't afford a ton so i was thinking mabye towards the 1X12 Rect-o-verb combo? I've heard some really great things about this. I was also looking at a Dual Rectifier head/2X12 Recto cab. I see this head looks more versitile, but the cost is quite a bit more. Is it that much better than the rectoverb to be spending that much more? Or, is there any other suggestions for this guitar? Your replies a definately appreciated because I live in an area where there's just not much knowledge about these. Thanks a bunch

All the Rectifier series amps are similar in sound: Single, Dual, Triple, Rectoverb, and Tremoverb all can achieve about the same tones, but each have a few different tweaks and options available.

* The dual and triple rectos have the choice of tube or diode rectifiers
* where the single (including the Rectoverb) only have a diode rectifier
* The Tremoverb offers the same as the older dual, but with reverb and tremolo
* The Rectoverb is essentially the same as a single, but with reverb.

Now that I've said all that, I'll say the Rectifier series amps sound like what you want to get. But the low end isn't as tight as what you might be wanting? It definitely thumps, but it's isn't super tight.

Some people don't like the cleans on the Rectifier series amps (I like them though), but I really liked the Rectoverb recto cleans a lot (but I like my Road Kings better).

All the Rectifier series amps, can do metal, hard rock and classic rock (70s and 80s) very well. Look at my signature to see all the recto amps I've had and I play in a 80s, 90s and modern rock cover band and we even do a few country tunes too and all the amps were versatile enough for me (for stuff like: Creed, Greenday, Bon Jovi, Brian Adams, Puddle of Mudd, Eagles, Keith Urban, ect...) I did, and still do, use an additional distortion pedal for some “in between” tones. The one I'm currently using is a Tubescreamer and it sounds great with boogies! The 3 ch Dual would be my choice (other than a RK), so I could have 3 tones at my demand; Clean, crunch and metal......Then you'd just need to find a 2x12 cab (I recommend the Genz Benz G-flex 2x12).

Thats my $.02 worth, but I'd see if you can find some clips on the net somewhere to listen to a rectifier before you jump in and buy one. Most people love them, some don't and you need to make sure before dropping $1000 on an amp (since it sounds like you cant try one out in person).

Good luck!

What the heck, just use what Petrucci uses these days...Road King head and either 2x12 or 4x12 (3/4 back straight front) cabinets. For clean channels he uses Lonestar these days (via an amp switcher). He used Nomads before Lonestar became available. Other then switchers and a bunch of interfaces (he uses multiple sets of amps and cabinets) you really only need T.C. Electronic G-Force. Petrucci also uses a couple of other T.C. Electronic delay/reverb effects and an Eventide 7000 Harmonizer, but for a starter system G-Force replaces all this since it already contains all these effects (including a harmonizer).

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html

Oh yeah, also a DBX 266XL compressor/gate. I use BBE 882 instead.

P.S. You can always go with Road King combo, on the more affordable side. Should do the job.

if your after creamy leads, tight low end, classic rock, and a good clean channel then rectos aren't really the best choice (unless you're an avid recto tweaker) i'd suggest something from the DC series. its got pretty **** good cleans, it can get a mean recto-ish rythm, creamy leads (with the 5 band) and mid gain stuff is not a problem.

Check out Tommi Inkila's work with Scenery Channel - try downloading the new album trailer. It's a Musicman Petrucci guitar into a Mesa F-50, and has those smooth leads you're after in a Petrucci-influenced prog metal context. The F-50 of course also does hard and classic rock awesomely, with stunning cleans too (I've posted some clips in the Rigs and Tones board). :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Back