Question on Bold/Spongy switch (stiletto)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnfx

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I have a Stiletto Deuce, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much power the bold/spongy switch cuts? Is it something like Bold =full power and Spongy= Half, or something different?

On another note, any other Stiletto owners here? I know there were a couple a while back. Any new owners who like this amp or has everyone moved on? :) I'm still exploring and finding different tones in mine. Anyone do a convincing EVH type rock tone with theirs?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the bold/spongy switch lowers voltage to the rectifier.....which gives it that spongy/saggy feeling when you hit a big note or legato a run.

So yeah, it lowers the wattage a bit as a result....but it's not really like a full/half power type thing, but more of a tactile feel thing.

Thanks!
I was messing around today and on Bold, you get a lot more volume than on spongy.

If anybody can get a passable EVH type tone, please let me know. :) Seems like each mode you can get close but there's always something a little off. Like too much bass, too much treble, or just not the right feel. I know you can't nail it with one of these amps, or any amp pretty much unless you're EVH, but to get a passable tone to cover som VH tunes would be nice. :D

Thanks!

xnfx said:
Thanks!
I was messing around today and on Bold, you get a lot more volume than on spongy.

If anybody can get a passable EVH type tone, please let me know. :) Seems like each mode you can get close but there's always something a little off. Like too much bass, too much treble, or just not the right feel. I know you can't nail it with one of these amps, or any amp pretty much unless you're EVH, but to get a passable tone to cover som VH tunes would be nice. :D

Thanks!
if you have a boost pedal of sorts heres my settings for ''evh''
channel vol=4
pres=5
bass=6.5
mid=5
treb=5
gain=7
in crunch mode 50 watt setting tube rec and spongy mode.+ a boost zw-44 od pedal.

Thanks!
Do you use Crunch mode of channel 1, or channel 2?

Thanks!
I have a couple more questions if you or anyone else knows.

1) Can the power 50/100 switches and channel mode switches be switched on the fly while the amp is on, or does it need to be in standby first to avoid damaging? I've been switching them with the amp on without any noticeble effects but thought I'd ask just incase I can harm the amp. :)

2) I've had the amp in Spongy for a while since I got it. In spongy, I can pretty much play the amp almost full on in a room without the volume being too overpowering. It's a lot louder in Bold though. Is there supposed to be this much volume difference between the two settings? On the Mesa site it says Bold is a full 117 volts, but there's no specs for Spongy.

Thanks!

xnfx said:
Thanks!
I have a couple more questions if you or anyone else knows.

1) Can the power 50/100 switches and channel mode switches be switched on the fly while the amp is on, or does it need to be in standby first to avoid damaging? I've been switching them with the amp on without any noticeble effects but thought I'd ask just incase I can harm the amp. :)

2) I've had the amp in Spongy for a while since I got it. In spongy, I can pretty much play the amp almost full on in a room without the volume being too overpowering. It's a lot louder in Bold though. Is there supposed to be this much volume difference between the two settings? On the Mesa site it says Bold is a full 117 volts, but there's no specs for Spongy.

Thanks!
you should always put the amp in standby when changing recs or bold/spongy and yes you will notice quite a bit of vol reduction when in spongy mode

Thanks!
So I assume the mode switches for channel should only be done standby too? I thought I read something about being able to switch them on the fly, and thought that was one of the selling points for the Stiletto and Lonestar. :)

It's amazing how much volume reduction you get when in Spongy. I just found out it's only about 20% less voltage than Bold.

I just found my manual, and in it it says that the mini toggle power switches (50/100) can be switched at anytime during performance, OR when the amp is in Standby. Does'nt say anything about the mode switches, rectifiers, or Bold/Spongy switches though. I wish they listed a yes or no for all of them. :)

Ive seen 2 numbers...25% and 33% in two different magazines...so im sure its inbetween there....

Screamingdaisy, you don't find that there are sudden increases or decreases in gain when you switch like that? I've always heard that you should switch modes in standby.

Latest posts

Back