Question for Tremoverb users...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pberrio

Reaction score
Hello, Im wanting to know what the amp can do and what can it cant do, since i live in south america there is no way for me to try it.
Im basically looking for a two or three channel amp that can give me high headroom cleans (think U2) and a good modern rock channel (judging from what i've read its obviously capable of). Im more concerned about the clean channel, will it break up early? can you do funk in it and super clean stuff? thanks.

Personally, I think my ToV can do just about anything. The cleans are great and the crunch is killer. Some people say they are not crazy about the blues channel, but I think it does a great job. With any dual recto, you need to play with settings to get the sound YOU want, but believe me, they're in there. I run JJ 6L6's in mine. It also makes quite a difference with what guitars you are running through it. I mostly play an American Std Strat with Kinman Mark II pickups so the cleans are really crisp.

Good Luck
Mike

I can get good cleans out of mine. It is not like a Fender or Vox. I say Vox because that is the U2 sound. It does break up pretty quick and the solid state clean thing is not what this amp is about. The cleans are better than most Dual Rectifiers.

Personally I also think the Tremoverb can do any music style, but the cleans are not pristine 'Fender' cleans - they're richer, more 'Marshall' cleans. (Which is what I prefer.) It doesn't have a huge amount of strictly clean headroom for a 100W amp either - I don't mind that, although I do use strictly clean sounds a lot... but I do not play funk.

A friend of mine who does play funk/rock had one, and he was never happy with the cleans. He eventually traded it for a Rectoverb - an amp I don't like because I find the clean channel too clean, and the distortion too focused and tight compared to the Tremoverb. (I honestly find the Rectoverb a little sterile, but that's just my opinion.) He couldn't get on with the Tremoverb but loves the Rectoverb, so if you play that type of music I would probably suggest a Rectoverb, a 3-channel Dual Rectifier (which has the same type of clean channel, although no reverb), a Roadster or even a Lone Star Classic (which he tried and liked, too).

The Tremoverb is also strictly a 2-channel amp - it doesn't even have a solo boost function like the Rectoverb - so if you need more than two gain or volume levels you will need a pedal either for more drive or boost. I love mine and it's the perfect amp for me, but I won't say it's the perfect amp for everyone.

Latest posts

Back