Question for Mark IV owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidinus

Reaction score
I am thinking of picking up a Mark IV but would like opinions on the R2 crunch channel. I am looking for crunch similar to early Van Halen/Bad Company, etc., nothing particularly insane in crunch mode.

Are you able to get that type of crunch and a decent R1 clean sound as well?

thanks!

raf

I say no but, maybe with a pedal on R2. I can get those tones easier with R3 IMHO.

Some people love R2, most don't IMHO. I wanted great cleans from R1 (which I could get) and a nice rythm crunch that I could clean up a little with my guitar volume on R2. I could never get a smooth classic rock crunch out of R2. Also if I am dialing in R2, to much I start to lose what I like on R1 (and this is the curse of the MKIV) Some people will chime in and tell you how to get great tones from R2, I'm not that guy, sorry. I think the tone you're describing can be found on R3. I love R1 and R3 on the MKIV I wish they could give you R1 and two R3's that would be killer IMHO. It takes people some time to answer your post but they will come soon. Do you have a Head or Combo MKIV?

Thanks for your reply! I don't have a Mark IV, just thinking about buying a MARK IV head. I tried a stilletto deuce but it was too trebly for me (same problem I have with Marshall's). I have come to realize I am a mark series gain guy even though I am more blues rock oriented. I have: 1) IIC+ 2) trixaxis/2:90 3)LSS but was hoping the Mark IV might get me a good crunch sound without 1)pedals 2) lugging a rack 3)cranking the holy bejesus out of the amps gain structure, so I could just go guitar into amp and since it does have 3 channels, use R1 for the occasional clean sounds.

I absolutely love my Mark IV combo as it is so versatile - but if it's crunch you're looking for there's better to be had elsewhere. I find I get a decent crunch from R2 with gain at 8, treble dimed, bass almost to 0, presence at around 8 and a boost from my Maxon OD-808. Still, though, nothing compared to the crunch in my Stiletto Ace on tite gain mode...I find it a bit too dark and subdued to really do the Marshall classic rock thing...

Thanks. Maybe I need to re-vist the stilletto thing. I tried it out after nearly an hour with a roadster and I was getting brain dead. I'm thinking I may just have needed to adjust the presence on the stilletto to deal with the treble. I even tried it with a 12" thiele cab like I have at home and it was very trebly.

Also believe it or not, I never thought about using the IIC+ lead channel for rhythm (duh!) like jamme61 was mentioning and maybe using the EQ for solo boost-(I used the IIC+ during the late 80's early 90's when a whole lot of music was clean rhythnms and wailing leads). It seems that would leave me in a similar situation to a Mark IV setup. But if I could mellow the stilletto treble, it might be just what I'm looking for...

i reckon this channel is prefect for that sort of stuff..you just got to work out how to set it up..the mk Iv is able to do just about anything in the right hand's...check out my clip in rig's and tone's.. that was will the gain about 5..that give you a idea..i think it's called rhy2 clip..

Will do. Thanks!

-------WOW! just checked out you rh2 and lead clips. I had two re-listen strictly for the amp cause I was enjoying your playing so much!

Well, I am definitely going to check out a Mark IV. I live in Austin, TX and the last time I checked Guitar Center and Musicmakers neither had one, but I'll recheck GC Sunday or Monday. Thanks very much!

R2 is a very dry channel. I find it sounds close to old school Alex Lifeson tones. I can nail Bastille Day, Limelight, Spirit of Radio tones with ease. It's really responsive to what guitar you have plugged in to.

rabidinus said:
Thanks. Maybe I need to re-vist the stilletto thing. I tried it out after nearly an hour with a roadster and I was getting brain dead. I'm thinking I may just have needed to adjust the presence on the stilletto to deal with the treble. I even tried it with a 12" thiele cab like I have at home and it was very trebly.

Also believe it or not, I never thought about using the IIC+ lead channel for rhythm (duh!) like jamme61 was mentioning and maybe using the EQ for solo boost-(I used the IIC+ during the late 80's early 90's when a whole lot of music was clean rhythnms and wailing leads). It seems that would leave me in a similar situation to a Mark IV setup. But if I could mellow the stilletto treble, it might be just what I'm looking for...

You're not the only one to find the Stiletto treble over-bearing - I had to do quite a bit of tweaking before I got it more acceptable. First of all, I have the treble and presence dialed down to around 9:00 - 10:00 or so. What also helped a great deal is tube tweaking - I've had luck with either a JAN Philips 5751 or a Raytheon 12ax7 in V1. Also, My Avatar 212 has one Celestion V30 and one G12H30 - I hear that the stock combo with one V30 can be a bit brittle...
The amp is sorta like a Marshall in that it sounds far better driven in a band context than at lower volumes for personal practice sessions.

hfisher3380 said:
rabidinus said:

You're not the only one to find the Stiletto treble over-bearing - I had to do quite a bit of tweaking before I got it more acceptable. First of all, I have the treble and presence dialed down to around 9:00 - 10:00 or so. What also helped a great deal is tube tweaking - I've had luck with either a JAN Philips 5751 or a Raytheon 12ax7 in V1. Also, My Avatar 212 has one Celestion V30 and one G12H30 - I hear that the stock combo with one V30 can be a bit brittle...
The amp is sorta like a Marshall in that it sounds far better driven in a band context than at lower volumes for personal practice sessions.

+1 stay away from the stiletto IMHO

rabidinus said:
I am looking for crunch similar to early Van Halen/Bad Company, etc., nothing particularly insane in crunch mode.

raf

I used to own a Mk IV and it won't get you there.

Both those bands used Marshalls and I can just sbout nail both those tones with my Stiletto with minimal tweaking. Add a phaser and it's instant VH1 and 2. Sure, it's not exactly like the album, but it's right there. A whole lot closer than the Mks will get you, that's for sure.

And you need to go try a Deuce too, if you happened to have tried a Ace before. The 50w tranny in the Ace seems to make it a much brighter amp. I like running darker speakers in a 4x12(in my case a mix of g12-65s and mc-90s) turning the treble up and keeping the presence under 12:00.

Perhaps a Stage I Stiletto would be better for you. Reportedly it has a better crunch setting than the Stage II, but the Stage II has better everything else.

Some great deals on Stage I's to be had, too.

Thanks. I was trying a Stilletto Duece at Musicmakers. I'll go back and re-try with those ideas in mind.
As far as my crunch description, getting in the ballbark of the bands I described is fine. I'm not looking to copy a sound as much as use similar settings as a basis for mine. I tend to like a dirty rhythm tone, so the rhythm channels on my IIC+ and LSS are too clean for me. Though to be honest I haven't had a chance to use my LSS with a drummer. That always changes everything...

raf

I know this is for boogies here but, the Marshall JVM series is an awesome amp for the tones you're talking about IMHO. Have you tried that one yet?

Yes the Marshal JVM410H is the new 4 channel marshall. I haven't heard any heat issues with it? I think the boogie is built better.

Are you able to get that type of crunch and a decent R1 clean sound as well?

I think so - awesome lead tone as well. Be ready to spend some time tweaking though. Well worth it.

If you use the settings for R2 on Petrucci's web site it sounds like a slightly mellower Rectifier 'Vintage' mode type tone. Loads of crunch and harmonics and sustain !!?? It's so easy to get a good sound out of it, maybe it's true and tone IS in the fingers :lol: :wink:

thanks! that's pretty much what I'm looking for (my favorite Triaxis peramp is the lead 1 red vintage), but found out yesterday that Mesa discontinuing the Mark IV series is true. I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a used one in good condition.

Back