Question: Eurotubes kits for LSC and LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
Has anybody used the Lone Star kits available here:

LSS
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=138

LSC
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=139

Questions:
Did you find the kits were a good all-up approach to retubing?
Did you try Standard? High gain? Gold pin?
What were the differences?
Did you try and EL-34 kits for LSC?

Thanks as always

Great question Geobull, I would like to know the same thing as my LSS Is just about 4 years old and in need of some new tubes

Yes I have. :)

But I asked for specific criteria such as high headroom. He talked about the various tubes specs for each position to accomplish what I was seeking and put the custom order together for no extra charge. They sounded really good. Much better than the set I got from mesa for my first re-tube. I was disappointed with those mesa tubes, so I did something about it and called Bob at Eurotubes. I liked it so much that I ordered a set for my YCV-40 with similar results.

Bump for this thread, we need some more input on the tubes for the LSS

IMO, JJ is the best production tube out there today in term of life span. Stock Mesa are Russian tube, I believe. But unfortunately all new production tubes have that fizzy mid to hi and some sound 'metalic' in the hi.
For pre-amp, JJ is not bright nor dark. It's an aggressive tube, meaning it goes into distortion sooner and gets alot of 'distortion'. I think that the tonestack in the Lonestar ch 2 has plenty of gain already so using a high gain JJ will not work for me but ok for those looking for an over the top, saturated, and buzz saw distortion.
For me I like clarity, smooth and punchy so I use NOS tube in the tone stack. A JJ normal balanced can be used in the PI with great result however. Try a NOS Jan/Phillips 5751 ($20) in the drive tube if you want to tame the gain a bit.
For LSS el84, as I've mentioned in some other thread, the choice is easy. NOS Tesla hex plate. Sounds similar to JJ but much much smoother and has none of the graininess when pushed. Cheaper too, so it's a no brainer (I leave the math up to you to figure out why it's cheaper :)).

IMO, JJ is the best production tube out there today in term of life span. Stock Mesa are Russian tube, I believe. But unfortunately all new production tubes have that fizzy mid to hi and some sound 'metalic' in the hi.
For pre-amp, JJ is not bright nor dark. It's an aggressive tube, meaning it goes into distortion sooner and gets alot of 'distortion'. I think that the tonestack in the Lonestar ch 2 has plenty of gain already so using a high gain JJ will not work for me but ok for those looking for an over the top, saturated, and buzz saw distortion.
For me I like clarity, smooth and punchy so I use NOS tube in the tone stack. A JJ normal balanced can be used in the PI with great result however. Try a NOS Jan/Phillips 5751 ($20) in the drive tube if you want to tame the gain a bit.
For LSS el84, as I've mentioned in some other thread, the choice is easy. NOS Tesla hex plate. Sounds similar to JJ but much much smoother and has none of the graininess when pushed. Cheaper too, so it's a no brainer (I leave the math up to you to figure out why it's cheaper :)).

I got the High Gain kit for my LSC. I finally gave the amp some more grunt at lower volumes. I really liked the JJ6l6, but I didn't get the life span from this set as expected.

I put in a eurotubes KT77 gold pin kit in my lonestar. Great sound it was the sound in my head, good mids not shrill highs, and a nice lowend

I did the EL34 complete kit with the pre-amp and rect. tubes. Great choice as the amp sounds way better than it did with the stock tubes, and no more low end "farting". Good stuff JJ's.

I tried some 5751s i had and used them for a few days. I then put in TungSol, i also used a few gold pins and these are what i will use for 12ax7s from now on.

For power tubes i use matched TADs, i guess they are similar to Electro Harmonix tubes...not sure but they worked out fine.

dvcamshooter said:
I tried some 5751s i had and used them for a few days. I then put in TungSol, i also used a few gold pins and these are what i will use for 12ax7s from now on.

For power tubes i use matched TADs, i guess they are similar to Electro Harmonix tubes...not sure but they worked out fine.
How do you like the TAD's I have been thinking about ordering some of these tubes for my 2x12 lss

dvcamshooter said:

What slot did you put the tungsol, in?

Latest posts

Back