Question about attenuators

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
Hey I got a Mesa DR and I'm looking for an attenuator. I've researched some liek the THD HotPlate but my question is more or less about the other ones like Weber. Is it true you need a 200w attenuator for a 100w amp? Why is that I just dont understand. Also what are some good attenuators out there that dont suck tone and can be used safely on a 100w amp. Thanks!

Everyone has their opinion on which attenuator is the best.
I think the reason for getting an attenuator that is higher wattage is due to the fact that a 100 watt amp is rated that at a clean setting. When overdriving the amp it will push more than 100 watts, especially if overdriving the power tubes which is one of the main uses of an attenuator.

tim6string said:
Everyone has their opinion on which attenuator is the best.
I think the reason for getting an attenuator that is higher wattage is due to the fact that a 100 watt amp is rated that at a clean setting. When overdriving the amp it will push more than 100 watts, especially if overdriving the power tubes which is one of the main uses of an attenuator.

+1 exactly

Latest posts

Back