Quality fluke? (hopefully)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomrs

Reaction score
Hey gang, first time post here. A short story about my Roadster
About 6 weeks ago I ordered my Roadster and the dealer was kind enough to let me take the floor model home until mine arrived (knowing it could be a while). A few days ago I received a call that mine came in.
Still in the box I take it home and get fully set up to play. Then come the problems.

1. The Roadster was ordered to be equiped with EL34's, it had 6l6's. (very minor problem I would have accepted it with 6l6's and bought EL34's and play with tones).
2. The black diamond plate is to low and hits several of the eq/volume knobs on channels 1 and 3! Some of the knobs would not roll unless a good amount of force was applied.
3. And finally there is no sound. (except a low pop when switching mute on and off). I double and triple checked everything (plugging straight in).

Needless to say I was dissapointed that whole night but I brought it back to the dealer the next day and they we're great. They we're very surprised though, it being a Mesa. They will contact Mesa on Monday and I will be getting another call when the next one comes in. One last thing, the guys at the dealer did plug her in and it worked then.
I did take a couple photo's and am attempting to post them here but forgive me if they do not show, I am a forum noob.

P7060521-1.jpg

P7060523.jpg

P7060524.jpg

Hey atomrs,

Wow, I'd be kind of disappointed too (surprising too). It makes you wonder if anyone even looked at it before it left.

I have a Solo50 Head and I'm going to say that my diamond plate is about 1/4" away from the knobs.

Where did you buy it at if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like GC. I bought my stuff out at GC in Clackamas. I ended up having to pick my head up at Beaverton and the thing was thrashed. I called the guy back that I bought it from and he told me to hang onto it until my new one came in. A new one showed up at the store about a month later and I traded him for it. Not bad for a big chain store. Although it's kind of hard for you to do that since there is no sound.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you are happy in the end.

That just sucks. This is just another reason I try to buy used if at all possible.

dmroeder, I absolutely refuse to go the GC's in clackamas and beaverton, they have the worst staff period (besides maybe apple music).

You are the customer and you need to be totally satisfied with your purchase . Accept nothing less . You put down alot of $ for that amp .

It was GC in Beaverton and in fact I walked in to pick up a Marshall (I was clueless about Mesa) and luckily I was approched by a saleperson that is a Mesa owner that knew his stuff.
And they again let me take home thier floor model. So as of now I'm not dissapointed just eager.

Nothing against GC nor Mesa. I work in a high quality environment and understand that some things slip through the cracks.

For whatever reason I just thought I would share this story/info.

There's no pictures of the back. It almost sounds like maybe the thing might have been dropped. Each Mesa amp is play tested(or the claim goes) prior to shipping. If the knobs were hitting the diamond plating surely this would have been noticed.

If dropped, this could have caused damage to the circuity, fuse, or tubes.

That sucks dude. Let us know what happens.

That's bizarre. What clutch71 said-- I think we'd all like to know what goes down with this, if there's any explanation from the vendor or Mesa, etc.

One of the attractions for a lot of us is that Mesa QC and build quality is usually top-notch, boutique level or beyond.

I wonder if maybe the front plate has slipped out of where it's supposed to be seated...? Weird. Anyway, yeah, we would REALLY like to hear any more info you get!

Bummer.. New toy and it's broke! I hate that feeling.. At least the salespeople at GC pointed you towards a great amp and manufacturer. Totally rare from Mesa. Trust me. I just hope they send you a NEW one and not a repaired version of the original.

And on to the GC rant: I admittedly have bought a lot of stuff from GC and now that I can play semi-well I usually don't get hassled when I want to try a new guitar or amp. BUT, it never fails when someone else who isn't a very good player or just nervous tries something out then they get hassled or dirty looks and feel pressured to stop playing. It's because of that shitty experience when I was younger that forced me to become a way better player because when I plug in and turn up, I want to be respected and not treated like an A-hole. sorry.. had to rant...

i can say one thing about Mesa and their quality checks.... they friggin endless..... i toured the factory a few months ago and those amps go through a lot before they leave those doors.... basically have one guy test all the amps they build..... he goes through all the controls , all the chanells, tests the eqs, and really drives them hard..... and boy can that guy dial in a tone...... i was pretty astonished at the amount of testing that those amps go through....probably why it takes so **** long when you order an amp....hope everything turns out well

ToneAddictJon said:
That just sucks. This is just another reason I try to buy used if at all possible.

That's exactly why I don't buy used. If it came that way used, he'd be screwed. He's still going to get a new Roadster. I'd rather deal with Mesa than some schlub trying to dump bad gear.

Funny thing...when I bought my Roadster I had no sound also. I was not happy.

After much fiddling I realized that the FX loop was series and not parallel like my DR. If you hook your ins/outs backwards from your fx to the Roadster you get no sound.

I am not saying this is what happened to you because it seems like the Amplifier Godz have urinated heavily on your Mesa parade.

keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back